Chapter Twenty-Six: Revelations

hi! i am SO sorry for the wait... i feel awful. i hope you all enjoy <3

By the time night fell, the group of friends were barely able to keep their eyes open as they dragged their ways inside. The cold snow left their cheeks a dark shade of pink and their limbs feeling stiff.

Remus's smile hadn't left this face all day, leaving the remaining Marauders to question him immensely.

" What's got you so happy, Moony?" questioned James, presenting the best puppy eyes he could muster.

" Our little boy is so happy. Isn't that adorable" gushed Sirius as he pinched Remus's cheeks in a motherly manner.

Peter just listened in as he watched Annabeth from afar. He was captivated by the way her hair flowed down her back and her eyes sparkled. He could never tell anyone this of course but he had fallen for Annabeth the moment he met her.

" SHE WHAT?!" shrieked James as he fell to the ground

Remus had just recalled the moment in detail of when the girl confessed her true feelings. James and Sirius were beside themselves as they danced around the boy, screaming in joy.

" That's amazing, mate!" yelled Sirius, his happiness uncontrollable

Peter stood there dumbfounded as he realized the inevitable. Why would he have a chance with a girl as perfect as her? It'd always be another guy. It would never be Peter.

" Did you hear him, Wormtail?!" exclaimed James

" Y-yeah. That's incredible" stuttered Peter, trying to hide his dissatisfaction

Annabeth made her way to the group and wrapped her arm around Remus.

//////////////
The holidays came and went like usual and before they knew it, the group of teens were returning to their beloved school.

Remus and Annabeth sat tucked away in the corner of their compartment as they talked quietly to each other.

" You know, I've been thinking about cutting my hair" giggled the girl as Remus twirled her red locks between his fingers.

Remus dragged her hair behind her shoulder, making it appear shorter. As her hair draped behind her shoulder, her laughs full of pure joy could be heard by everyone. Their friends watched with pure adoration in their face, all except Peter.

Peter's heart broke at the sight. The girl had caught his attention from the moment they met but he knew he'd never be anything more than a friend to her. Especially with the way she looked at Remus.

" I think you'd look stunning" spoke Peter

Annabeth's smile faltered for a second as her laugh slowed.

"Well thank you, Peter" smiled the girl, trying her hardest to not show her discomfort.

" Don't bloody compliment her" shrieked Sam

Sam had never been one to shy away from his true feelings towards someone. He always got the creeps around Peter and this just furthered his point.

" Sam, calm down" whispered Sirius

Peter's cheeks were red with embarrassment while Sam's were full of anger.

" No! You're seriously telling me that not one of you saw the way he looked at her? As if she's some piece of meat?"

The compartment was full of deadly silence, tension filled every corner.

" Sam," said Annabeth gently, " I don't think Peter meant any harm. Let's all just calm down"

James's first thought was to sing in this awkward situation ... so he did just that.

"1 for the money, 2 for the show, 3 to get ready now go cat go" sang James off key

Before he could finish his tune, Sirius slapped a hand over his mouth. James bit Sirius's hand which resulted in a punch on the shoulder.

The boys were cut off with a loud slam as Sam exited the compartment. Annabeth quickly followed as the Marauders were left to themselves.

" Peter... do you fancy my girlfriend?" asked Remus, trying his best to maintain his calm demeanor

Peter said nothing as his feet began to tap on the floor. The silence among the group was deathly as they all awaited the others to speak. The soft chug of the train could be heard as students across the hall roared with laughter.

" I won't ask again" said Remus with a dangerous undertone

" Mate, I don't think Wormtail here wants your lady" spoke Sirius

" Yeah! Come on guys, this isn't us. Let's all just go back to playing our game" said James with a cheerful pep in his voice

" Yes." whispered Peter

The boys all went quiet as they turned to Peter. His cheeks were stained with tears as his cheeks turned as red as a tomato.

" Yes?" squeaked Sirius

The compartment became tense as all eyes were on Peter.

" It's so obvious! He's obsessed with you and you're too blind to see it! You're acting daft!" shouted Sam

The pair of best friends had taken up an empty compartment to the opposite end of the cabin.

" Daft?! How the bloody hell am I daft? You just want to see the bad in people even when there is none!" expressed the girl with rage in her voice.

Sam laughed coldly in Annabeth's face as he took in what she said.

" There is only bad in that boy. Something isn't right and there's no way you don't sense it. I haven't said anything to Sirius but I never thought you'd react this way" responded Sam

Annabeth usually cooled down one of their arguments as soon as possible but this was not one of them.

" You're being ridiculous! I'm going back to the boys, maybe they won't be such dicks" spat the girl.

Annabeth glided over to the boys cabin and swung open the door. She was more than surprised when she saw the tears down Peters face and the expressions of the others.

James's cheeks were a deep shade of red as he looked towards his shoes. Sirius had his thumb in his mouth and Annabeth could hear the sound of his nail against his teeth.

And Remus. Remus's face surprised her the most. His eyebrows were drawn together as his eyes were the darkest shade Annabeth had ever seen. The usual joy in them had vanished as his scars seemed larger than ever.

" Rem? Are you okay" asked Annabeth under her breathe

No response.

" Told ya" said Sam cheekily as he popped up behind the girl.

Annabeth froze in place as she realized...

Maybe not everyone was who they claimed to be.