𝐗𝐈𝐕 - 𝐍𝐘𝐂 𝐭𝐨 𝐂𝐇𝐈

February 28, '01

Yana POV

"Aye, take this with you," Jalen said, handing me a disposable Kodak Max camera.

"I already got one," I said, pushing the camera his way before he placed it back in my suitcase.

"But did I ask?," he jeered. "They got Bucktown up there and I need you to take a picture of somethin', but ion want it gettin' mixed up witcho' stuff."

I glanced at him, closing my suitcase. "What's in Bucktown?"

"They filmin' the new season of The Real World there."

"Jalen," I sighed, "I'm not going somewhere for that dumb show."

I walked away from him to the living room, turning New York 1 on for the weather as he pleaded, "Aye, c'mon Yana, ion even be askin' you for anythin'. I been goin' to school and mindin' my business. Imma good kid."

I listened to Pat Kiernan tell us about some crazy guy throwin' bleach and urine at people all across the city on the train platforms. I turned away from the screen, disgusted and grateful I was finally getting out this city, if just for a few days.

"Ok, I'll take your lil' pictures," I told Jalen. "But you gotta do something for me, too."

He looked at me expectantly, "What? I'll do it."

"I need you to watch Maji for me. Follow her around the city wherever she go and when I come back, I want the whole damn report."

Announcing I was going to be away was music to Maji's ears and I knew she'd be on some spring break timing, checking a whole bunch of things off her bucket list of things a 15 year old should not do. So, I had to stoop to getting my baby brother to spy for me. Yeah, I was upset with her, but this was more for her own good than my revenge and truthfully, I didn't even have the energy to be upset with her anymore.

"Woah, you askin' me to spy and snitch on blood?," Jalen asked in his over-the-top dramatic way.

"Yes, cuz she's gonna get her ass in trouble if I ain't around to save her," I told him. Was that the Pisces in me speaking? Maybe, but the common sense in me was also in heavy agreement.

Jalen looked at me in scrutiny and eventually put a hand out, rubbing his fingertips to the sky.

I rolled my eyes before reaching into my pocket for the 20 dollar bill I had planned to give him.

"What it do 'Drew?," he chuckled, speaking to his bill.

Bless his heart 'cause 'Drew' wouldn't like his face.

I went back to my room, shrugging a coat on, slipping into some sneakers and placing my luggage at the front door before my phone rang. It was Michael.

"Hey boo," I answered, exaggerating the 'boo'.

"Yo, we downstairs," he replied.

"We?," I asked him. He'd said he'd be here to pick me up tonight at 6 so we could catch our flight at 7:55. Never did he mention he'd be here with anyone else.

"Yeah," he answered with no further explanation. "You need help getting your stuff downstairs?"

Shaken at his response, I mumbled 'no' and called Jalen for his help. We took the elevator down and out the lobby. Leaning against his car with his arms crossed, Michael saw us come out and approached us slowly, grabbing our bags to put them in his trunk before he dapped Jalen up. Somehow, they'd become friends without my knowledge, which warmed my heart especially since I felt Michael was setting a really good example for Jalen by simply existing.