11│EASY STREET

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴇᴀsʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛ ꒱

❝ I THOUGHT I'D
RETURN THE GESTURE ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

In the front of the classroom, Topanga read Robert Frosts' poem as the class listened: "'two roads diverged in the wood and I took the one less travelled by, and that made all the difference.'"

"Okay, now, what do we take from this poem?" Mr. Turner asked when she finished.

Topanga was about to reply when two sleeping noises interrupted her, a loud snore coming first followed by a "yip, yip, yip. . ." Juliet shook her head at the boys' lack of interest in the poem but before she could wake them, Mr. Feeny entered the room. "Interesting. In my class, Mr. Hunter handles the yipping."

Cory woke up and jumped at the sight of both teachers. He quickly turned to wake the boy behind him. "Shawn, Shawn, it's both of them." He gave the redhead a betrayed look. "Why didn't you wake us?"

"You both just looked so comfortable," she answered with amusement.

The dark-haired boy sleepily rubbed his eyes as he looked between the adults. "Oh no, now I don't know which class I slept through."

"Mine, Hunter," Mr. Turner told him, "remember The Road Not Taken?"

"A remarkable poem in which the poet tells us that we make choices in life and each one put us on a new road that can have a profound effect on our destinies," Mr. Feeny explained.

"Mr. Feeny, how does a poem about a guy on two roads affect our lives when half of us can't even drive?" Shawn asked.

Juliet sighed and leaned over to poke him lightly to gain his attention. "Shawnie, can you say metaphor?"

Mr. Feeny patted the boy's shoulder. "Isn't he fun?"

"I like to think of him as job security," Mr. Turner said.

"Mr. Matthews, what was your last choice in your life?"

"Well, I just got a job for Christmas break," Cory replied, "I'm a gopher for Little Pauley's restaurant."

"And I got myself a soft, cushy union job at the docks," Shawn put in.

"And I'm working at the jewelry store downtown," Juliet finished.

"This year, I'll finally be able to buy nice present for my friends and family," the dark-haired boy added. For Julie, he specified in his mind, glancing at the redhead. After all the years he'd never given her a present, he wanted this one to be different.

"Alright, I want you to keep a journal about the choices you make over the net week. Then I want you to write a paper on the potential of those choices to change your life." Mr. Turner paused. "Yes, Capelwood?"

"How specific do you want the choices?" Juliet asked, "like, whether I chose peas over carrots for dinner or something more important?"

"Whatever you think will have an impact on your future," her teacher answered, "if you think eating peas will lead you to waiting outside of the convenience store for the next batch of lottery tickets, then make sure you include that."

"And that would change my life how?" Shawn said.

🌎🌎🌎

"Did you enjoy your last day of school, darling?" Daly asked as they sat down to dinner that evening.