21│CULT FICTION

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴄᴜʟᴛ ғɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ꒱

❝ I CAN'T BELIEVE
YOU LICKED ME! ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Mr. Turner walked up and down the aisles returning papers they'd written a few weeks ago. He turned on to Juliet's row and placed her assignment in front of her. "Capelwood, good." Two students later, he'd reached Topanga. "Lawrence, good." Then Cory. "Matthews, not bad." Finally, Shawn. "Hunter, bad."

"Turner, bell," Shawn replied as the sound rang through the halls. 

As everyone packed up their bags, Mr. Turner held Shawn back. "Wait, hold on, hold on." The boy paused, looking impatient. "Y'know, you're a junior in high school now, Shawn. You have no goals as far as I can say. Have you even thought about college?"

"I'm going to college!" Shawn protested.

"Oh, you are? Where?"

"Hawaii. I figure I have a better shot outside the country," he replied.

Juliet paused in her packing and looked up, opening her mouth to correct him. She shook her head and closed it as she put the last of her books away. Mr. Turner continued: "you know, Shawn, the people who care about you in this life, you can count on one hand. So don't-don't blow me off, okay?"

Cory and Topanga lingered behind as well as Shawn disagreed with their teacher. "John, I've got people who care about me."

"Y'know, Shawn, I think Mr. Turner's right," Cory spoke up. "Okay, I mean, we've got one more year of high school and the humidity in Hawaii is gonna make my hair go— whoo!" He demonstrated the effect, raising his hands above his head.

The redhead gave him an amused look as she slung her bag over her shoulder as Topanga added, "well, I wanna go to Penn State."

"And I wanna go where she goes," Cory announced as he wrapped an arm around his girlfriend. "Anyone surprised by that?"

"And I'm going wherever the majority goes," Juliet chimed in.

"Tick tock, the clock is moving and you're running out of time to figure out your life," Mr. Turner told him.

"Hey, John, you're not my guardian anymore. I'm back with my parents, I'll be fine," Shawn said.

"Yeah, Shawn, but I'm one of the handful of people who cares about you," their teacher repeated. "Y'know? Now your parents are busy, trying to work out their marriage. So are they." He nodded to Cory and Topanga who were walking slowly out of the classroom. He turned back to the boy. "And you know, you've had four years of security in these halls but they throw you out next year, Shawn. What're you going to do then? Huh? Who are you going to be?"

Mr. Turner left after that, leaving only the redhead behind. She approached the dark-haired boy with some caution. "It's gonna be okay, Shawnie. I don't give up easy, you know that."

He turned to her and his expression softened. "Yeah, I know, Julie." Boy, did he know.

"I'll see you in study hall?" she asked hopefully.

"I'll be right there," he promised. She nodded and exited the room, passing a dark-haired girl hanging out by the doorway on her way out.

🌎🌎🌎

"You're gonna help me and Shawn study, right?" Cory asked as he and Juliet walked to Chubbie's. "I'd ask Topanga but it's kind of a tradition that you nag us into listening."