thirty-four

Alouette sits back against the shelves, her heart hammering in her chest. She has to stay away from the camera at the front of the library if she wants to have a chance to make it out of there alive.

She tries to come up with a thousand different excuses that could explain her being in here if she gets discovered, but none of them is believable. She has no reason to be here— she isn't even supposed to know this floor exists. If someone comes in, she'll be done for.

The book copies on the shelf right behind her seem to be calling to her, but she doesn't touch them again. She has to be ready if it comes to it. If Harry not only finds her in the library, but also discovers she touched them... She doesn't dare to think of what he'll do with her. She knows how he deals with his enemies. It's been some months since the day he killed Markberg, but she's most definitely not forgotten.

Asher Markberg.
Daniel Ivenhart.
Ezra Larson.

Of the three original leaders, only one is still standing. Even though Harry only got rid of one of them himself, he's about to win. Alouette wonders if he knows. If he discovers she's part of the Revolution, she fears what he'll do to her— or what he'll force her to do.

He can never find out.

It's easier said than done, though, because she's the one that's trapped in a room with no hope to escape. How long will it be before he realises she's missing and comes looking for her? Will he even find her, or will he stumble upon her accidentally a couple of days from now when he'll need something from the library?

She checks the time. It's now half past seven. She should've left a while ago, but the cameras turned back on too soon.

Did Nathan get caught, did he betray her? Should she expect guards to storm the place at any second and capture her?

She remembers the night of the celebration, now some weeks ago, when Harry killed a rogue that dared to hold him at gunpoint out of heartbreak. You killed my son, he said. Even she empathised with him, with the truth of his words. But Harry didn't.

That's who he is.

What will he do to her when he finds out she entered the Palace to spy on him and, ultimately, kill him?

A shiver runs down her spine. If there are indeed dungeons in the Palace, something tells her he won't let her get there alive. Or even worse, what if he finds out who she is? Who her father is to the Revolution? He'll make an example out of her. He'll make sure to ruin her and everyone she knows. He'll destroy them all.

She doesn't even dare to breathe too loudly as she waits, and waits, and waits for her end to come.

She didn't even say a proper goodbye to Amina. And Elijah, he expects her to be home in a few days from now, if he doesn't already know she asked for more time. He's probably disappointed if he does. And so is Ezra. And the council. And everyone else. She disappointed everyone.

There's a clicking sound, and the library falls in the most complete darkness.

Alouette frowns and checks the time. It's a little past eight. She spent the last hour freaking out on the floor. She hesitantly stands up and checks the camera again.

This time around, the green light on it isn't on.

Nathan.

She knows she has to be quick. She opens the door and puts in the code again, wasting no time before disappearing into the staircase.

Her heart is in her throat as she runs up the stairs, and she could cry of happiness. Now she only has to make it back to her bedroom alive. She doesn't know what happened though, why the lights came on again earlier than they should've, and it makes her uneasy. Is she in trouble?