Chapter 17

No POV

No matter how soundproof these walls were, there was no way America's cries couldn't be heard in this hallway. Anne was still cleaning the wound and stitching process hadn't even begun yet.

"Almost done, my lady," she said with sympathy. America was sweating heavily and had practically bitten through the second rag. Marlee held her hand and was rubbing her thumb across the back of her hand for reassurance.

"You're okay, America," she was repeating, "It'll be over soon." America took a deep breath as Anne made one final swab in the wound.

"Fuck!" she yelled. Even though it still hurt like a truck, America was also drunk and her filter for profanity was practically gone but with every stab of pain, she felt herself sobering up. She was trying to think of her family, of May's infectious giggle or Gerald's soft smirk that he always seemed to have on his face. It helped but with every swab, the picture disappeared.

"Done!" Anne said finally. America breathed a sigh of relief. "Unfortunately it's going to become a tiny scar, but I did the best I could with my experience."

"You did amazing," Marlee promised. Anne smiled at her.

"We'll put you in longer sleeves for a few weeks so nobody will ask questions. Everything will be fine," said Anne with a concerned look on her face. Marlee fidgeted with her hands nervously as Anne picked up the needle. She turned to pour America some more whisky.

"I know it burns, but it's worth it, trust me," she said. America drank almost a quarter of the cup before pushing it away, unable to stomach anymore. Already her eyes felt droopy and every time she moved them, the room spun a little. America began to giggle but it quickly turned into annoyance when she felt a pinch in her arm.

"Hey," she slurred, "That was mean." Marlee put a fist to her mouth to avoid laughing and Anne's mouth turned into a tight line. Anne continued stitching the wound which fortunately didn't take too long. Ten minutes had gone by and she was finished. Anne was sweating, Marlee was rubbing her back sympathetically and America...America was wasted.

Marlee went to the door and opened it to let the men know they could come back in which took about .02 seconds. They all rushed to their feet and pushed through the door to check on America. Marlee rolled her eyes and chuckled to herself.

"Anne, you have no idea...thank you so much. I owe you a large debt," said Maxon with relief shamelessly displayed on his face. Aspen and Avery looked just as relieved that America was okay. She appeared to be asleep as they began to talk about the next course of action.

"She can't stay here," said Maxon. Aspen nodded. He desperately wished she could because then he could keep an eye on her and she would be close to him, but he knew his boundaries. Then again, those boundaries hadn't really mattered to him when he was had America pressed against a wall of the palace, hands on her body and lips at her..

"Leger. Hello?" said Maxon. Aspen came to his senses.

"Pardon me, your Highness?"

"I asked what you think we should do?" Everyone was looking at Aspen, except America whose eyes were closed. Aspen looked around, suddenly nervous.

"As a woman, I think my plan will be the best course of action for the other woman in this room," said Marlee with a touch of sass. "Obviously I can't be seen around the palace, so I'll take care of the Paige situation which I'm sure you all forgot about." All the men looked down while Anne looked confused.

"I'll head down to the kitchen, Maxon you should take America back to her room and Anne, please stay with her tonight, make sure she'll be okay. Tomorrow will give her a hell of a hangover." Anne nodded.

"Officer Leger, you stay outside her room tonight and don't look suspicious. Everyone just go about their day normally tomorrow and Anne can come up with some excuse as to why America won't be out of her room for the first half of the day. Avery, you come with me. I'm going to need some help." Everyone nodded and went silent for a moment.

"I think I should stay with her tonight," said Maxon.

"No," Aspen said immediately. All eyes fell on him. "It's not practical, your Highness," he said quickly, covering up his insistence.

"Officer Leger is right, your Highness," said Anne. "It would only raise red flags that something isn't quite right."

"I really don't think it would," he protested.

"Well we went with your plan tonight and look where we are," said Aspen. He wasn't wrong but there was now a testosterone fight in this small room and nobody needed that. Avery stayed silent like always, simply observing.

"Don't forget who you're talking to," Maxon warned.

"How could I," Aspen fired back.

"SURPRISE!" yelled the voice from the bed. America was sitting up straight with her arms raised above her head. "Didya think I was 'sleep?" she slurred, swaying from side to side.

"Miss, the stitches!" cried Anne, rushing over to put her arms down.

"But does anyone actually know where the puppies are?" she said. A moment went by before the room burst into snickers and giggles. America looked around with confusion. Just like that, the tension was melting away. Maxon and Aspen shared a look before turning their attention back to America.

"Let's just all stay calm and go with my plan, okay?" said Marlee who seemed like the mom of the group. "Maxon, you have to go to your own chambers tonight so nothing seems out of order. If your father finds out something is up, there won't be much you can do. I should know." Maxon lowered his head but nodded. Minutes later, Maxon, America and Anne were in the hall trying to get her to her room.

"Once we get there, I'll need to leave shortly to get some antiseptic cream," whispered Anne as they neared the hall with the Ladies' rooms. Maxon nodded, and readjusted his arm that was holding America around the waist.

"Oh my gosh, your hair is so soft," said America to Maxon loudly. She turned to Anne. "And you are so short."

"Darling, please quiet down. We're almost at your room. Just a few more steps," urged Maxon. America rolled her eyes and ended up rolling her whole head by accident. She burst into a fit of giggles and Maxon and Anne huffed in frustration.

Once they were finally in her room, Anne left quickly to get the cream. Aspen would be returning soon to post at America's door for the night. Maxon lifted America up and carried her to the bed, bride style. He gently placed her on top of the bed. She was still wearing her 'Seven' clothes and was sweaty, but he assumed Anne would take care of that.

"Your eyes are like chocolate," she said softly. Her eyes had begun to droop from exhaustion.

"And yours are like the morning sky," he replied with a smile.

"Maxon?"

"Hm?"

"I have a secret to tell you."

"Oh?"

"It's about you. Well, me. I s'pose us."

"What is it, darling?" America gestured for him to come closer and he leaned so his ear was by her mouth. He stayed there for a few moments before retreating. She had already fallen asleep, her soft snores being the only sound in the room. Maxon smiled and kissed her forehead.

"My brave girl."

///

a/n

GUYS THIS IS SO LATE SORRY. Editing took longer than planned. I hope you're enjoying the story and stay safe ! xx