Chapter 35: Relations of Generations

CHAPTER 35:

Zelena POV

After sincerely repeating the true claim that my uncle had not placed his hands on me about half a dozen times, Principal Lopez hesitantly releases me back into the wild of sixth period hallways. I ignore the muttering of my peers of all ages, squishing myself between bodies to get to my last class of the day quicker than usual for more than one reason. Two hands seize each of my elbows and I swing my weight around, prepared to lift my leg for a kick when my eyes land upon Demetri and Mitch. "What the hell you two?! I nearly roundhouse kicked you." Mitch flinches back at the sight of my facial wounds up close while Demetri lifts the left side of his lips in a wince and hiss of breath. Chris releases a low whistle, wandering up from behind the initial pair and I raise my left eyebrow in question. "Can someone explain why seizing my arms was necessary?"

"You were walking fast. And you need to talk to Miguel." Demetri directly answers though I don't particularly like his response nor the tone of it.

My hands lift up once more to either side of my face in surrender. "I don't need to do anything aside from getting to sixth period." My left hand hovers over my face, doing a circular motion in gesture to the entirety of its current state when I note they aren't moving out of my way. "This is also his responsibility."

"Eli already talked to him." Demetri inputs. My eyebrows furrow and I tilt my head at the audacity of his insinuation.

"Okay and? He doesn't speak for me." I attempt to sound as nice as possible through the wearing of my patience.

Demetri shifts his weight to his right leg, standing hipshot. "Aren't you guys dating?" His inquiry sounds more like a statement and ends in an unappreciated scoff like he knows everything as usual.

Mitch inserts himself directly into the line of my staredown with Demetri before I can even respond to the insinuations I want to nip in the bud."You two are dating?"

"We went on one date." It's snippy and short, bitterness lingering on my tongue like I'd said somethign I had regretted. Although I really only regret the delivery of it. My arms cross over my chest defensively when Demetri rolls his eyes.

Chris interrupts this time with complete shock all across his features. "You went on a date?"

My eyes move away from Demetri to look at Chris and Mitch. "It's a new thing. Not labelled. It's complicated." I sigh, tightening the squeeze of my arms around my chest before giving in. The anger leaves bad chills running through me and I release all of it, dropping my arms back to my sides. My eyes return to Demetri, this time just looking at him instead of glaring. "Regardless of if we were, he still doesn't speak for me. I am very much capable of expressing myself and knowing what I need to thrive and heal."

"Not always." Demetri pipes up.

There's a pang in my heart at his words that I find some truth in. The minute bell rings overhead, causing the remaining kids in the hallway to scurry every which direction to get to their classrooms. I nod affirmatively and step to the left, moving forward wordlessly. Demetri calls out my name, but I quite literally jog to my class down the hall and to the right to avoid his long legs and being late.
--------------------------------------

"Oh for fudge sake's." I grumble to myself the second my eyes find Miguel standing in the only exit out of my classroom. My hands reach for every remainder of my personal supplies scattered about my desk and shove them recklessly into the biggest zipper of my backpack. I could sort them out and reorganize later. My teacher briefly greets Miguel as he passes through the door, but I continue to look busy ignoring him.