Chapter 7

Chapter 7

~~◇~~~◇~~

After about two weeks of rest, Clay feels more than ready to return to the ocean. He tells himself that it's because he has missed surfing so much. And no other reason! Deep down, though, he knows the truth. Clay knows his excitement and anticipation is caused by the mysterious boy from the sea, even though he's not sure if the boy actually exists.

He paddles out to his usual spot, but instead of surfing like he normally does, he just sits on his board, facing toward the shore. He waits for that all-familiar feeling of being watched to appear, and then he takes a deep breath, gathering his courage. He had practiced this speech numerous times in the mirror last night, but he still doesn't quite feel ready.

"Hi," Clay starts hesitantly. "I don't really know if you're here with me right now, or even if you're actually real, but I wanted to thank you. You saved my life. I wish there was some way I could repay you."

Clay waits for a response. When one doesn't come, he continues quietly, "listen. I dream about you almost every night. I close my eyes, and I'm drowning again, and every time, I worry that it's going to be a nightmare. But then you show up, and you save me, and everything is okay. Sometimes I try to go to sleep early so that I can see you again."

As he speaks, he notices a slight movement in the corner of his eye. He knows that it's the boy, that he's here with him, but he doesn't want to frighten him away. He holds his gaze steadily in front of him, takes a shaky breath, and whispers, "Please. I want to meet you."

He hears a quiet gasp from behind him, and quickly turns his head in the boy's direction, hoping for a glimpse of his face. Instead, he is met with a loud splash and a sliver of iridescent dark blue disappearing into the surf.

He sighs, feeling defeated. But Clay has an abundance of patience (and stubbornness) and there is no way he is giving up now.

~~◇~~~◇~~

So Clay returns to their spot every. single. day. and waits. He sits there for hours, talking to the boy, or possibly to himself. He isn't quite sure at this point. He shares stories from his childhood, stories of scraped knees and falling out of trees. He talks about how he practically grew up by the sea and about the beach-front house he lives in now, a place his nostalgia begged him to buy. He mentions how much he loves his job, how much he enjoys creating entertainment for millions of people, how fulfilling it is to see the positive influence he has on his audience. He describes surfing and the joy and freedom that it provides him with. He talks about his best friend in the world: Patches.

He talks about his other best friend, too, laughing about their stupid nicknames. He tells the open ocean about having sand castle competitions, about races in the waves, about how he and Nick taught each other to surf.

He mentions personal things, too, like hopes for the future, or regrets from the past. He talks about love and heartbreak, happiness and loss. He cries a little when he brings up coming out to his parents and being kicked out of the house. He emphasizes how supportive Sapnap was, and how his family welcomed him into their home. He opens his heart and mind up to a boy he doesn't know, talking about things he never thought he'd be able to share with another person. He tells the boy everything.

Occasionally, Clay wonders if he's annoying him, wonders if he's even listening, but when he returns the next day, the boy is there every time, hiding just below the surface. Sometimes, he runs out of words to say, so he sings for the boy. On those days, Dream can sense more than see the boy swimming closer to him. He can hear tiny splashes, gasps, and reactions to his stories and songs. Today is one of those days, and each miniscule confirmation of the boy's presence makes his smile grow. He sings a little louder, his confidence swelling when he hears a happy sigh to his left. When he reaches the song's chorus, a quiet voice hums along, joining in to create a tentative harmony. Not wanting to scare him, Clay pushes down his bubbling excitement and resists the urge to turn around, and they finish the song together.

"Can I at least know your name?" Behind Dream, he hears the slightest whisper of a body moving through water towards him. He holds his breath in anticipation.

"George," says the quiet voice. "My name is George."

~~◇~~~◇~~