three

"Here we are.." I said to the cat, pushing the front door open. Its warm atmosphere welcomed me within the first few seconds of my arrival.

Bending down, I unzipped my jacket; letting go of the cat that was bundled up in it for the past hour. It tumbled out, its fluffy fur saving it from the rough impact on the floor. "Are you okay?" I asked worriedly, putting a hand out to it.

It mewed in response, nuzzling its head to my hand. I smiled, relieved.

Thank goodness.

Looking back at it, I was finally reminded of something that was crucial. Naming the cat!

I sat on the floor with my legs crossed, staring at the cat. It stared back at me, confused.

"Oliver?" I said to myself, squinting my eyes. The cat did not react, as it continued to stare back at me.

"James?"

No response.

"Joey?"

Nothing.

"Claude?"

The cat hissed, fury swimming in those red eyes. Yeah, NOT that name for sure..

"Olivia?"

No response yet again.

Oh wait, was the cat a he or she? Or was it a they?

Swiftly hooking my hands under the front legs of the cat, I pulled it up and took a quick glimpse at its private area.

Yup, the cat was a male.

The cat looked back at me with judging eyes, as I gave it an awkward smile. "Sorry, just had to be sure so I don't misgender you. Unless of course, you'd want to be addressed as another gender?" I said, letting go of the cat and sat back onto the floor.

It mewed, as I nodded in response. "I'm taking that as an 'Okay'? I'll address you as a male." I said hesitantly, not wanting to offend the cat.

It mewed once more, shifting closer to me so that it could give my hand a lick. I smiled, patting its head.

"Okay, a male then... Male cat names..." I said, looking back at him again. He walked towards my bookshelf, its eyes skimming over the numerous titles of books that sat undisturbed on it.

Hopping onto the coffee table that sat next to the bookshelf, he stood on his hind legs, putting a paw on the spine of a specific book. I raised an eyebrow at the cat's intelligence, walking up to him and pulled the book out.

Sebastian, by Anne Bishop.

"Sebastian?" I asked, as the cat looked at me with excitement. He mewed in response, putting a paw onto the book I held.

I laughed, giving him a light kiss on his head. "Sebastian. I like that, it suits you."