A Solitary Remission

Thank you to everyone whose voted and continued to read, it means so much to me ❤

I just want to say I love everyone who has shared their stories of their anxiety. So many of you relate to Oaklee and I didn't even realise I was creating a character who is so relatable until now. I'm glad I reflected anxiety in the right way and so many of you relate to Oaklee and you're sharing your experiences and feelings about the subject. You are all being exceptionally kind about my book and to each other and I'm so happy that there is so much support and positivity.

Anxiety is hard but I hope you all feel less separated and alone because of all the shared experiences.

Thank you! ❤

Alexander King

"Alex?"

My head shot up at the sound of her voice. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

My feet hit the carpet, rounding the desk and striding to her in less than five seconds.

"I'm fine." She shakes her head, blinking quickly. "I just... I..."

"What? Are you feeling okay? Why are you here? Did something happen?" I fire off, searching for any sign of her anxiety increasing or any injury. She looks okay.

"I remember."

My blood runs cold on my veins and my eyes snap up to meet hers, now only seeing the emotions I had been waiting months for. It's not confusion or doubt or politeness, it's my Oaklee. I want to smile, laugh, pick her up and kiss her but this is the moment when she leaves me. She's going to leave me.

I stumble back and my throat constricts when the force of her words actually hit and all I can manage is an, "Oh."

"Yea." She rocks back on her heels.

"Oaklee..." I whisper, my eyes burning. "I am so sorry for everything that I said to you. I-"

"You hurt me." She interrupted, her eyes glassing over and the sight killed me. It hurt so much to see her like this. It was coming. She would finish the blow and leave me dying on the floor. "You called me names that he called me and you thought I would keep something as big as knowing my dad killed your mum from you. Morgan told me and it hurts so much." Her tears fall. With every tear a large cut engraves itself in to my heart. "I don't understand how you could think I would do that to you."

"I didn't think." I shake my head softly as I whisper. "I saw his face, the same face I saw eighteen years ago and every reasonable and logical explanation went out the window. I'm so sorry."

My tears fell. The worst part was she wasn't shouting, she was calm, the hurt was dropping from her voice and it burnt me like I stuck my hand in a bonfire.

"I'm angry and hurt but I didn't tell you about him." She shrugs. "You were trying to reconcile us, you didn't know any of it and that's my fault for not telling you when you told me about your mum."

I shake my head furiously. "None of this is your fault."

"Oh I know." She chuckles, wiping her cheeks. "It's yours because you're a mean, cold hearted, angry and hurt man who pushed everyone away that tried to get close to you." I nod, staring down at my feet.