iii. the running theory; grover got me hooked on drugs

chapter three

─── the running theory; grover got me hooked on drugs

          ℑt's bad of me to say, but I ditched Grover as soon as we got to the bus terminal. It was a cruel move, but he was freaking me out more than I already was. He kept muttering "why does this always happen to me?" and "I can't believe she saw that".

What would you have done in my shoes? Followed him willingly?

As soon as we arrived, Grover raced off to the toilet, asking me to wait there. I did not. Instead, I caught the first taxi that I could, suitcase in tow.

"East One-hundred-and-fourth and First," I told the driver.

I know, as a seventeen year old, it doesn't look great running away from a twelve year old but I promise it was for a good reason. That's what I was telling myself in the taxi anyway.

Just a quick thing to note before you meet the most amazing, beautiful and best person in the world, my mother. Her name's Sally Jackson and she's a goddess on earth, of that there is no doubt.

Her own parents died in a plane crash when she was five, and she was raised by an uncle who didn't care much about her. She wanted to be a novelist, so she spent high school working to save enough money for a college with a good creative-writing program. Then her uncle got cancer, and she had to quit school her senior year to take care of him. After he died, she was left with no money, no family, and no diploma.

The only good break she ever got was meeting my dad. That's what she said anyway. I wouldn't know, considering I never even met the guy. He's just this shadowy figure in my earliest memories. I don't ask mom about him much, cause it makes her sad, and you don't want to make her sad.

The only thing I know is that he is apparently lost at sea. Which is pretty much 'dead' in my books.

She worked odd jobs, took night classes to get her high school diploma, and raised me on her own. She never complained or got mad. Not even once. But I wasn't an easy kid, even I knew that.

Finally, she married Gabe Ugliano, who was nice the first thirty seconds we knew him, then showed his true colours as a world class dickhead. When I was young, I nicknamed him Smelly Gabe.

Now, you might think that I being rude, but I promise you that I'm not. This dude literally smells like gone off eggs mixed with sour milk wrapped in a boy's PE bag. It might be one of the major reasons that we never got along with each other, considering I call him that to his face most of the time.