Chapter 12-A sound argument

I knew Eren, Gabi and Falco had been taken to the cells.
After Eren had left the island on his own to go to Marley, and we had realised, that's when they had sent the rest of us over. In an attempt to make sure he didn't do anything stupid. But that's what he did do.
I knew that after what had happened two years ago, he would have done this to protect Historia, he cared about us, in his own way at least.
The person he was becoming was so unlike him.

I entered the newly erected wooden house.
I was greeted by silence.
"Hello?" I called, hanging my coat up on the hanger beside the door. "Anyone home?"
A few muffled shouts came from a room to my right.
I made my way, the footsteps sounding louder on the floor than what they should have.
Had something happened to Sasha? My footsteps quickened. Had she....I didn't even want to think.
I grabbed the door knob, hand trembling, the iron doorknob was ice to my touch. Did I really want to go in there?
I took a deep breath, and opened the door, my stomach turning.

Mikasa, Armin, Jean And Connie were all sitting on the sofas around a table.
The glum looks on their faces froze me to my core.
"What's happened- Sasha she hasn't?"
My voice cracked at the end.
"No." Connie replied, his glazed and unfocused eyes scared me. He looked dead.
"Then why do you all look like someone has died?" I asked.
Silence met my words.
"Mikasa, what's going on?" I asked again. She just lowered her head, and tugged on the scarf around her neck.
That's when it hit me. They were talking about Eren.
I sighed and slumped down on the sofa next to Jean.
He immediately placed an arm around my shoulders, comfort rather than patronising. He knew that for the last four years I had been fighting with keeping the same brother I had before all of this. I had at first been succeeding and then it all went downhill.
He squeezed my shoulder and I leant my head on the shoulder nearby.
"So Eren huh?" I said softly.
They just shrugged.
"Come on." I said feeling heat rise to my cheeks. "It's me your talking to not Eren," I could feel the anger rise in me and I fought to keep it down. I found these days I was easy to anger.
"He's changed so much." Jean said.
"I agree with you." I said, the anger deflating slightly.
They sighed in what I hoped was relief.
"He just laughed after hearing Sasha and you got shot." Connie said his eyes wide. "He laughed,"
"Eren Care's about us." Mikasa interjected. "He cares more for us then any others."
"Is that why he laughed Mikasa?" Connie said. "Because he cares for us." He pointed at me. "He laughed at his own sister because she had been shot."
I gritted my teeth. "What the hell is he playing at!" Jean said from beside me.
"Well, the only issue we would have is who will inherit the Founding Titan?" Connie added.
"Armin?" I asked turning to him. "What's your view?"
Armin jumped a few centimetres into the air at being addressed.
"Sorry Armin." I apologised.
"My view?" He asked. "On who should inherit?" I nodded.
He sighed. "I am not sure." His eyes turned sad. I know he was already thinking about who would inherit the Colossal when his time come, since he had never wanted that.
"Who would you want to inherit yours?" I asked again. "I would want someone I trusted with the amount of power my Titan has. But I then also want it to not be someone I am close to. As I would want them to live a long life."
They all went quiet. "It's not that I don't trust you all, I would want you all to live long lives."
It brought me back to two years ago, when Eren said the same thing on the railway that we had started to build. When the sun had turned red and gold and so did our cheeks.
"I don't have many years left." I added under my breath. I had about five left, the same as Eren.
I sighed. "Any news On Sasha?" I asked.
"Heading slowly, her mother and father came to visit her earlier." Connie replied. "They are thankful for you for saving her life."
I waved the compliment off. "To be honest I wasn't sure that would work but I had to try. I couldn't let a comrade die."
A small smile crossed their faces for a fraction of a second.
"You saved her though Layla." Armin said, and I felt a wave of heat as he sat on the arm of the sofa beside me. "Let her alive long enough to bring her home."
I could feel heat in my cheeks, embarrassed I brushed it off and got to my feet wearily, stretched and groaned as my joints popped. "I had better head off, I have to meet with Hange."
"Your going to see Eren?" Mikasa asked. I shook my head sadly.
"Hange won't let me. I am to meet them by the cells though so I am hoping I can sneak in to see him."
She was about to stand but I shook my head. "You won't be able to Mikasa. As much as you want to." She slowly sat defeatedly. "I'll see you all tomorrow." I waved and headed out of the door. I glanced back once, as I pulled my coat on outside at the window. Admins pale face watched me and I smiled weakly. And then waved, untied my horse, jumped on and rode off towards the cells.
That was when I let the tears fall and only then.