19

Alex set me in my car seat and buckled me in before he started to ask questions. I hated that I couldn't get away. He obviously knew what he was doing.

"Diane's not covering for you, is she?"

I glared at him. I knew Ms. Diane would stand up for me and help me out if I needed it. But she'd also rat me out if I did something I wasn't supposed to do. "No, I didn't do anything wrong. He wouldn't leave me alone."

"Start from the beginning."

I let out a deep breath. "He wouldn't stay away from me. I know that I have to play with the other kids in order for them to like me but he kept taking everything from me. He took the crayon right out of my hand and ruined the picture I was working on. Then he spilled a whole bowl of applesauce on me. I didnt get mad until he took my bunny." I mumbled the last part out as I stared at bunny, almost ashamed to admit that I was upset over a stuffed animal.

"Did he do anything to it?"

I shook my head. "No, but..."

He leaned back against the door. "Maybe we should leave him at home?"

My chest tightened at the thought. I didn't want to leave bunny behind. I needed him to fall asleep at nap time. I didn't want him out of my sight.

"This sort of thing will keep happening if you keep bringing him. Kids this young don't understand that if it doesn't belong to them, they can't play with it."

I dug the heel of my hand into my eye. "I need him."

"I'm not asking you to throw him out, Lyla."

I shook my head. He wasn't getting it. I didn't want to come out and say it but he was never going to understand unless I said something. "My mom got him for me. To replace the one you ruined. It's the only thing I have that reminds me of her."

He paused for a few moments as he thought of an alternative plan. "What about I get you a new stuffed animal. Whatever kind you want. You can use it when you come to school and leave it in the car when we're home. You can take your bunny everywhere else."

"So... I leave my bunny in the car when I come to school and I take the new stuffed animal inside?"

He nodded.

"I don't like it but I guess it's okay."

He pulled his phone from his back pocket and turned the flashlight on. He aimed it at my face and held up a finger. "I need to make sure you're not hurt. Follow my finger."

I winced immediately and tried shielding my eyes from the light. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Just do it. I need to make sure you don't have a concussion."

I sighed but did it, struggling to see beyond the bright light just inches from my face. "I hate you."

He patted my head. "How ironic: my headache has a headache."

I reached out to hit him but he was out of reach. He shut the door then got up front and started the car.

I leaned back in the car seat and stared out the window. "Do you have to go back to work?"

"No, I took the rest of the day off."

"I'm sorry I keep making you miss work."

He looked in the rearview mirror at me. "You're not that sorry, are you?"

I grinned back at him. "Nope."