12

"Hey Cap, we've got a situation here"

Sam's words could very well be the understatement of the century.

The tiny dot grows large, revealing itself to be a massive ball of flames hurtling down towards the city. Neither Bucky nor I panic, though, because we know what Sam doesn't. The massive forcefield encapsulating the city is near impenetrable, and when the flames slam into it, they don't make it any further.

"God, I love this place" Bucky muses, watching as the shimmering blue barrier protects us from the first hit from space.

"Don't start celebrating yet, guys. We got more incoming outside the dome!" Rhodes calls, flying up to us and dropping down beside our group.

"Here we go" I mumble, my heart thundering in my chest and my adrenaline beginning to race through my veins.

In my mind, I wish Tony the best of luck. We'd figured out by now that he'd stowed away on one of the ships, giving him the best chance to find Thanos. Hopefully, Stark does what he does best and finishes the job.

Just outside the barrier of the forcefield, multiple ships slam into the ground.

"Dawn, get you tell how many signatures there are from here?" Rhodes asks as everyone who had gone inside except for Vision and Wanda join us outside.

"Not from here, I need to get a little closer" I respond, walking with the others towards the four massive carriers that wait to transport all of us to the barrier to hold off whatever army they brought.

Our task is simply today - hold all of them off long enough to let Shuri take out the mind stone for Wanda to destroy. In other words, we're the biggest distraction in history.

"Alright, Sam. You fly Dawn ahead of us to get a count for the army.  We'll be right behind you on the carriers" Steve commands, walking outside with a new pair of shields attached to his forearms. Sam nods, opening his wings and preparing to take off.

"On it, Cap" he states, looking to me. I nod and look over to Bucky.

"See you out there" I bid, locking my arm with his and giving him a small nod. He squeezes my arm slightly in reassurance, nodding to me as well.

"See you there"

With that, I turn and walk over to Sam as everyone piles on to the carriers.

"Ready, Viper?" he asks, walking behind me and grabbing ahold of my waist.

"Let's do it, Falcon" I respond.

Within seconds, Sam has shoves off of the ground and begun flying with me in his grasp towards the barrier. We speed through the air, flying over the city where people have begun to evacuate for safety precautions. The second we break past the city's edge, my senes light up with heat signatures.

Behind Sam and I, I hear the carriers roar to life and begin to speed after us towards our battlefield. I'm less focused on that and more focuses on the obscene amount of bodies registering in my mind.

"Oh my God" I breathe, the numbers increasing the closer we get.

"What do you got, Dawn?" Steve asks through my comm.

"Too many to count," I respond over the roaring of air in my ears as we fly up to the battlefield. Sam drops down and lets go of me, the carriers stopping not too far behind, "It's got to be hundreds of thousands. Two are breaking through the trees right now"

Behind Sam and I, the Wakandan army runs up into place followed by the Border Tribe. Not long after, Sam, T'Challa, Natasha, Bruce in his massive metal suit, Bucky, and Rhodes walk up to us. We stand in a line in front of the forming army, our gazes locked gravely on the spaceships beyond the barrier housing an army of insane proportions.