20 Where I Belong

Nora~~

The credits start to roll, and Radia has such a desperate look of longing on her face as she stares up at the screen that it's as if she could allow herself to be sucked into the movie. She grips mine and Tye's hands. The light of the screen reflects off the tears in her eyes.

It wasn't a sad movie.

         Ryann nudges me and says in my ear, "Is she all right?"

         "I have no idea."

         Radia wanted Tye and me to continue spending time with Ryann. Even if after the other night, I was okay with only the occasional run in. Besides, Tye and even Ryann know I and Ryann are only here as buffers to make Tye and Radia's "not-a-date" unawkward.

         "That's where I belong." The words are only a whisper on her lips. She doesn't say it as if she's yearning for a wish but for home.

         "Nora," Tye says. "If you two want to go, we'll catch up with you later."

         I didn't realize "not-a-date" meant they needed to force the two third-wheels away.

         I grab my purse and follow Ryann out of the row and up the aisle of the theater. You're not supposed to shove the third wheels together.

         Once outside, we find the sun has yet to set. Tye and I both got done with work quite early, though I didn't fail to notice that Charlie had Tye come in long before he should have.

Across the street is a park. Ryann asks if I've ever been, and when I say no, he insists on showing it to me.

         The park stretches multiple blocks and is laid out like a long rectangle. A shallow man-made river flows down the center of the park. It's along this river that Ryann and I walk in silence. When we met five days ago, I wasn't exactly warm and welcoming to him, and he came off as an uncomfortable flirt.

         Pink, purple, and blue flowers grow along the river beds. Birds chirp from the trees and I'm content to listen to them and the trickle of the water.

         "I wanted to apologize for the other night," Ryann breaks our non-spoken vow of silence. "I was late and came on a bit too strong to you. Radia made me think it was a date . . . so . . . yeah. I'm sorry."

         I shrug. "It's fine." I keep my eyes focused ahead, further down the path. "You're not as creepy in the daylight."

         He laughs. "I suppose I deserve that."

         Ahead on the path, two people walk toward us. A boy and a girl I know.

         Charlie's eyes lock on mine, and I come to a stop while he stumbles. The girl—Marcella—catches him. She's the one who welcomed me and Radia to Somnia. Seeing them together leaves a cold feeling on the back of my neck. Apprehension possibly.

         "Charlie," I say.

         He grimaces and closes the distance between our two groups. "Nora." His eyes drift to Ryann.

         "This is Ryann. A friend of Radia's."

         Marcella's face is stretched into a grin, and it's directed at me. "It's so good to see you again, Nora. Charlie's been telling me so much about you."

         Charlie closes his eyes, bringing his fingers to the bridge of his nose. "I've literally told you nothing."

         Marcella rolls her eyes and gives me a knowing smile before facing Ryann. "I'm Marcella Pace."

         Ryann shakes her hand and steps toward me as if sensing my agitation. Pace. Did I know they shared the same last name? "How long have you two been together?" Ryann asks.

         A look of pure horror crosses Charlie's face that I would pay to see again on a weekly basis. "We're not dating."

         Marcella laughs. "Can you ever loosen up?" She shakes her head. "We're co-workers."

         Charlie side-eyes her. "Somewhat."

         "We're having a meeting and figured we'd enjoy the day while having it."

         I slip my hand around Ryann's arm, wanting to drag him back to the theater.

         "How was the movie?" Charlie asks, taking a step away from Marcella.

         "It was good. Tye's with Radia."

         Nodding, his eyes flick between me and Ryann. "We won't interrupt your date any longer. Isn't that right, Marcella?"

         My eyes widen. "That's not—" 

         "Of course not." Marcella loops her arm through Charlie's. "It was great seeing you again, Nora." She tugs Charlie down the path before any of us can say goodbye.

         "Who was that?" Ryann asks.

         "My boss."

Do you have any third-wheel stories?