Chapter eighty - Depression

A/N: this won't last for much longer I swear. Love you all, have this gif which made me go in my feels <3

TW: mentions of depression (obviously), suicide and generally not being great

...

"Sh! We'll get caught."

"Calm down, so what if we do?"

"So what?! We'll get thrown in the dungeons!"

"They can't throw me in the dungeons again, I'm the king. Besides, who's going to believe any guard who says they saw the dead prince sneaking around the palace at night with one of the maids?"

"...good point. But I still think-"

Loki grabbed your arm and pulled you behind a large column as two guards appeared around the corner.

Carry on.

Nothing.

No please, continue. You were telling me that I was being too loud... and thus attracted the attention of those two guards.

His fingers dug into your ribs where he knew you were ticklish and you let out an indignant shriek, before clapping a hand over your mouth.

"What was that?!" one of the guards said loudly, advancing towards your hiding spot.

"I don't know. Check the columns."

We really need to work on your stealth technique.

Stop it!

You wrestled with Loki behind the column, trying to get his hands away from your ribcage and not laugh as the guard approached. The guard peered round the side of the column and Loki cast an illusion. You both fell still, stood inches away from the guard.

Loki's hand snuck back towards your torso and you grabbed his wrist sharply, grinning, struggling not to make a noise. The guard moved past.

"There's nothing here. It must have just been an animal or something."

You turned to Loki as he dropped the illusion, smirking as he did so.

"That was your fault." you whispered furiously, shoving him, unable to not smile at the look on his face.

"You're the one who screamed."

"I didn't scream. And it was your fault."

"Ridiculous." Loki sighed, shooting you a sideways grin.

"You are." you replied, pulling him out from behind the column now that the guards were gone. You walked hand in hand through the quiet of the palace until you came to the ballroom, the moonlight spilling into the room through the open far wall which led out to the courtyard.

"This is my favourite room-" you said began, looking up at the towering, decorative ceiling.

"-after the library." Loki continued, "I know."

You smiled, walking through the room, remembering the night you'd danced in here with Fandral, jealously watching Loki dance with other people all night.

You looked so unbelievably beautiful.

I know, Fandral told me.

Loki sighed and you laughed, turning to look at him. You stared at him for a second, unable to quite believe your luck, and then held out your hands.

"Dance with me."

"Your wish is my command."

"Shouldn't it be... your wish is also my wish?" you asked teasingly as he walked towards you and took your hands in his.