Chapter Thirty One - Tastes So Good

Mike Tyson: Happy birthday loser x

I'm not overly flamboyant when it comes to romance, but I think the kiss on the end of my text will please him to no end. Besides, he's seeing me later, so I can give him a proper one too.

It's been torture for me to not tell my friends what's going on between Hendrix and I. Nat and Lena more than Collins and Seb, purely because the girl gossip sessions are just that juicy. I know this will floor them completely. I mean, they've always sort of had their suspicions, but said suspicions were never that Elijah and I would be dating. They always said it would be a 'bone and home' scenario. You know, beat then yeet.

Not for me; I'm a lady.

Elijah's spent the morning with Tanya and Mason and he's due to pick me up in about an hour. We decided that our first date should be plain and simple, but still private, so we agreed to go to this cute little milkshake parlour just outside of town so we can make sure it's a proper date without fear we'll be caught out. That way, we can feel comfortable to act like a proper couple without having to hide.

I don't see that it makes a difference. If today goes well, we're going to have to tell people pretty soon. I don't know that I can hold it in much longer. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep up this charade, considering we used to be attacking each other with our fists, not lips.

Adam and I never did dates. I mean, there weren't many places we could go at fifteen years old. We had to rely on our parents for drives to and from places, and even then, fifteen is an awkward age and you're just sort of figuring it out. Once we settled with each other, it was more visiting each other's houses, less so when he decided to tango with Jasmine.

This is a nice change. I'm excited. Really fucking excited actually. So much so, I've been sat cross legged on my bed ready for the last forty five minutes. I'm eager, sue me.

The hardest part, I want to impress Elijah, but I don't want him to think I'm trying to impress him. Therefore, I was pulling outfit after outfit from my wardrobe and drawers, pulling my hair out when I thought they were too dressy, too casual, horrendously uncoordinated, or just plain awful. This is why I so desperately need Lena to know about us. She's a god when it comes to outfit planning.

It took a while, and a few unhelpful brotherly verdicts, but considering the weather too, I decided to play it safe with a jumper dress, leggings and lace up boots. You can't fuck up with an outfit like that.

I've kept it simple with my makeup and hair too, because like I say, I'm not going out of my way to try and blow the socks off Elijah. Rumour has it, I do that already.

Daddy Hendrix: Don't forget my gift

Mike Tyson: You told me not to get you anything!

Daddy Hendrix: Stick a pretty bow on that booty and it'll be like all my birthdays came at once ;)

Mike Tyson: Everything about that sentence horrifies me

Not long after, he's here, being overwhelmed by my mother who thinks this date will lead to the making of her next grandchild. Seriously, Nancy is a lunatic.

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat when I meet him downstairs and I can't help but feel completely and utterly nauseous at how whipped I'm being right now. How disgusting! Me, fawning over Elijah Hendrix like I haven't hated him for over a decade.

"Happy birthday." I mumble as I stand beside him. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me into his side, pressing a kiss against my temple.

"Where's the bow?" He whispers to me as his lips linger, his warm breath fanning over the shell of my ear.