XII. IF LOVE BE ROUGH WITH YOU, BE ROUGH WITH LOVE

I sat alone in the backseat of Bonnie's car, staring aimlessly out of the window at the line of evergreen trees that seemed to never end. My fingers tugged at the end of the sleeves of the shirt I wore, pulling them further down. It was an off white colored henley shirt, that was a few sizes too big for me, and wasn't mine.

It was Klaus's.

Wearing his shirt was a feeling I never thought that I'd get tired of. It felt like I was wrapped up in him, draped in his familiar scent, and I felt so safe, like he was right there with me, like he was part of my skin ; an extension of me. And I missed him. I missed him so much.

Days had gone by, days of ignoring his phone calls and texts, days of feeling nothing, but helpless. I was angry at him, but part of me wanted to run right back into his arms, to forgive him, but I knew that I shouldn't - it was just so hard, not to.

I'd always thought that my relationship with Klaus was far different, more complex than any two other vampires I'd seen. Damon had turned Isobel, and they couldn't care less about one another, just like Katherine hadn't cared about Damon, and yet, she was the one that turned him. She turned Caroline, and Care hated her guts just as much as we all did. That was how I knew something about Klaus and I was different.

Everyone only hated him more now, once they found out about the sire bond. Elena didn't want me anywhere near him, Bonnie was trying to figure out what we could do to break it, Damon was doing his best to be there for me, Stefan hadn't spoken to me since that night, and Jeremy was gone. Elena had Damon compel him to go live in Denver with the little family that we had left, to keep him away from the mess that everything was in Mystic Falls.

"Cute house." I heard Elena comment from the front seat beside Bonnie, and I glanced over to see that we were pulling up to a small red house, with an old barn beside it.

We had found Bonnie's mother's address, who she hadn't seen since she was little, after she walked out and dumped her at her grandmother's, because Bonnie had found out that one of Klaus's coffins was sealed shut, with a spell. That meant that she was now fully involved, which was why we needed to see her mother, who was also a witch.

Elena was worried that maybe Klaus would call and ask me about his coffins, about what we were up to, and that I would tell him everything. But, I knew he wouldn't do that. Besides, he had his hybrids looking for his coffins day and night.

"Yeah," She scoffed, before parking the car. "in the middle of nowhere."

"You ready?"

We fell into a short silence, before Bonnie popped her door open, and got out of the car. Elena and I followed, walking to the house, when a boy around our age walked out and greeted us.

"Hey, there."

"Hey, we're looking for Abby Wilson."

"She's not home." He responded, noticeably suspicious of us, unable to take his eyes off Bonnie. "Something I can do for you?

"It's okay, we can come back."

"I'm sorry," He spoke up before we got to walk away. "but you look so familiar."

"Ehm, Abby is my mom."

"Oh... I'm Jamie. You guys want to come inside?" He opened up the front door, stepping aside to let us in. "Right this way."

___________________________

"You guys sure, you don't want anything?" Jamie asked the three of us, as we stood inside the kitchen, in a slightly awkward silence. I was pretty sure all three of us had the same question on our minds ; was Jamie Bonnie's brother? "We got fresh OJ, coconut water, some mango guava something."