XIII. TWICE I TURNED MY BACK ON YOU

"You look surprised to see me." Elijah said, standing across from Klaus and I, and he seemed still so calm, though I knew from what I'd seen before, that Elijah wouldn't let Klaus off the hook so easily. "So it wasn't you that removed the dagger from my chest?"

Who the hell had taken the dagger out? It wasn't me - after trying and failing, and then being told not to try again, by Klaus - and it surely wasn't Klaus himself. I had a feeling it was Damon, or Stefan - maybe even Elena - in hopes that Elijah would help them.

That plan turned out just great the last time.

"You look like you could do with a drink." Klaus offered, weary. "And we have a lot to discuss, so shall we?"

Before I could so much as blink, Elijah rushed over and attacked Klaus, throwing him through a set of glass doors that led into another room.

"Easy! I just finished renovating!" Klaus growled, before rushing over at Elijah. He picked up his brother, and threw him into the coffee table, splitting it down the middle. "You know you have every right to be mad at me. But I kept my word, I reunited you with our family."

Elijah got up to attack the hybrid once more, but I blurred in front of Klaus, grabbing Elijah by the throat, flaring my fangs out at him.

I was more than pissed at Klaus, but nobody was going to toss him around, no matter whether he deserved it or not.

Elijah's gaze shifted from anger at his brother, and looking at me, it was the first time I'd seen genuine sadness in his eyes, helplessness. I let go of him, retracting my fangs, his eyes flickering between me and his brother. "What have you done to her?"

___________________________

I sighed, as emptiness filled the room I was in, glancing up at the Salvatore brothers who sat across from me. Elijah had invited them - along with me - over for dinner that night, to discuss what was going to happen with the coffin that Klaus still did not have ; the one that was magically spelled shut. Bonnie was still working on getting it open, and amongst that we'd had time to talk about the sire bond, and she figured there was only one way to truly break it ; by shutting off my humanity.

Without my humanity, I wouldn't care about Klaus - or anyone - and that was what had ultimately gotten me sired to him in the first place. But, I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to shut it off, because I didn't know what I was capable of doing without my emotions that hooked me to being sane. And I didn't want to shut it all off, and lose my feelings for him. It wasn't an option.

We were all five sitting at the dining room table, eating - though Stefan didn't touch anything on his plate - a servant walking over to pour Damon more wine. I mentally debated snatching the entire bottle of wine, thinking that I was going to need a lot of alcohol to get through that meal.

After dinner, I wanted to talk to Elijah on my own, about everything that had happened, since I hadn't had a chance to last night, leaving him with Klaus.

"Thank you, love."

"You lost your appetite." Klaus spoke up from beside me, glancing over at Stefan, while I sliced a strip of steak on my plate, watching as a little bit of blood poured out.

"Eat." Damon told his brother. "I thought we agreed that we would leave the grumpy Stefan at home."

Stefan looked at the rest of us for a moment, before giving in and picking up a fork and knife to cut his food.

"That's the spirit." Klaus mused, as I picked up my glass of red wine, taking a sip. "Isn't it nice? The five of us dining together? Such a treat. Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger from my brother?" He questioned Damon, and it only made the tension in the room, rise. I wanted to leave, but I also wanted to know what would be said. It was like watching a car accident, you just couldn't look away.