XIV. I'M GETTING NUMB TO THE FEELING

Humanity ; a virtue associated with basic ethics of altruism derived from the human condition ; it's what keeps us going. It's the underlying force that stops us from completely giving up on everyone and everything.

Love. Hope. Respect. Fear. Anger. Hate. Sadness.

As a society, it's the driving force behind our actions. Whether our choices are rational or not, our humanity is what defines us. From the moment of our existence, humanity has been with us. It's a part of everyone's journey through life. It makes us, and breaks us.

Throughout history, humanity has been classified as one of six virtues that is constant in all cultures. But, even with all of this, it seems as though our one defining trait is our numbness to the world ; our lack of desire to suffer.

I felt nothing. Before, I know I would've done anything to feel happy, relieved. I used to cry myself to sleep at times because of my humanity. I used to worry about hurting others around me because of my humanity. I thought that there wasn't anything better than feeling, than love, but I was wrong.

Nothing felt better than the eternal silence inside of me.

There was no guilt, no sadness, no pain. I was free to do whatever I wanted without having to deal with the repercussions.

I leaned back against the smooth porcelain that surrounded me, shutting my eyes as I let out a heavy sigh, the steam of the hot water I lied in, filling my lungs. I couldn't remember the last time that I just got to take a bath, that I got time to relax on my own, without having anything to worry about, and it felt like it had taken a toll on my body, though I knew that it technically couldn't have.

A small smirk formed on my lips when I heard the door to the bedroom open up, the sound of footsteps nearing the bathroom, one by one, and then I heard his voice ; Klaus.

"You want to explain to me why it is that I found the postman bleeding out in shrubs?"

"Because I didn't feel like burying him." I dryly retorted, before snapping my eyes open. "Oh! That reminds me, I left your mail in the kitchen."

He sighed, kneeling down beside me. "You can't just leave bodies around the house,"

"Why?" I questioned, my smirk growing as I leaned up to him. "Is your mommy gonna be mad?" I couldn't stop myself from bursting into laughter at the look on his face, giggling as I leaned back into the tub.

The person in the coffin that was sealed shut was his mother, somehow preserved even after her death, and she was back to reunite the family. Every single sibling that had been once daggered and carted around in coffins by Klaus, was awakened last night after dinner.

"Last time I checked, this is my house just as much as it is yours," I pointed out, stretching my arms out along the edges of the tub. "which means I get to do whatever I want, whenever I want, and not a single one of your siblings, and especially not your mother, is gonna get in my way, sweetheart. Now," I said, standing up in the tub. "mind handing me a towel?"

Klaus looked up at me, staring speechlessly, and if I had any feelings, I swore that I'd never felt more sexy, more womanly with the way he was looking at me. His eyes darkened, gaze holding  onto mine as he stood up, meeting me. I may not have had any love for him in that moment, but there was nothing that could ever fizzle out my attraction to Klaus Mikaelson, and maybe now, I could finally act on it.

"Nik!" A familiar voice that I hadn't heard in weeks called out ; Rebekah. She stormed into the bedroom, halting when she caught sight of me. Her lips pursed, brows raising as she neared the doorway. "Heh, I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about you."