Chapter 70 - My favourite place isn't really a place, it's a person

You're going to lose yourself from time to time. come back. Come back to what your heart knows. No matter how long you've been gone, come back.

- The Better Man Project

For some reason, Draco's nightmares were a blessing to me. They gave me an excuse to sleep in his bed every night. I couldn't sleep alone, my brain wouldn't stop churning. It only stopped when Draco was around me to ease the continuous strain of thoughts.

So eventually, I ditched my guest bedroom and slept in his room permanently. No one said anything about it. No one but Draco and Narcissa spoke to me in general, not even Bellatrix. I didn't mind very much as it gave me an excuse to distance myself completely, to let the background absorb me.

Because bad things were happening and I could not be around it. I hated these people more and more every single day and soon, I wouldn't be able to hide it any longer.

First professor Burbage got murdered right here at Malfoy Manor. Draco had witnessed it, which caused him to not speak a word for two days straight. He was required to attend every meeting and it didn't benefit his mental state.

Next there was another attack on Harry Potter, which Draco luckily didn't need to be part of. The boy got away from at least a dozen Death Eaters, which was a joke to me. Why did all these men mindlessly follow Lord Voldemort into killing a sixteen-year-old anyway?

The Ministry also got taken over by Voldemort's side. I stopped calling it my side, as I had no idea what side I was on, but it wasn't this. It made me happy for a little while, knowing that Draco could attend Hogwarts with me next year, but that happiness was very short-lived. Soon, the papers were filled with killed muggles, muggle-borns and severe punishment for anyone supporting them.

I didn't leave Draco's room very much, just a few times when I knew that the Dark Lord wasn't around. I'd go take a stroll in the garden or visit the library for a few hours. By now I knew what the best way to act was around these people. I just had to show no emotion whatsoever. If I did that, they didn't know what I was thinking and they didn't have anything against me.

These people could do a lot of things, but they couldn't see what I was thinking. Technically, they could with a little Veritaserum, but they didn't go that far. I was not that important anymore. So as long as I only committed crimes in my mind, I was safe.

"Dammit, I hoped you'd be asleep still", Draco chuckled as he walked in, carrying a plate of breakfast.

"Are you bringing me breakfast in bed, Draco Malfoy?" I frowned. My heart started beating a little bit faster at the sight.

"Technically not in bed anymore", he complained, putting the plate on the nightstand and taking my hand. He pulled me back to the bed, in his arms.

"Happy birthday, Ellie", he whispered, kissing my cheek. I smiled slightly, kissing him back. Lately I had a little trouble with smiling genuinely, as there were so many more reasons not to, but if I did, it was because of him, because of Draco.

"I'm taking you somewhere in two hours, by the way", he smirked.

"Where are you taking me?"

"That, my love, is a surprise." I pouted. I wasn't a big fan of surprises, as unknown situations made me feel uncomfortable. "All I can say is that I did get you a gift this time."

We cuddled for a little while, but eventually I decided to get ready, which I hadn't done in a long time. I looked presentable when going downstairs, even if it was just to get a snack, but I hadn't properly spent time on myself in a few weeks.