twenty-nine

Kasia rubbed her eyes, exhaustion weighing down on her heavily

Kasia rubbed her eyes, exhaustion weighing down on her heavily. Her ribs hurt even more now a few hours later, and she would honestly kill someone to take a powernap.

Unfortunately for her, Toro's contact seemed to want the elite mercenary alive—whether to pay for her crimes or recruit her for them, Kasia couldn't be sure. She liked to tell herself it was the former.

As the three of them waited for Mando to return with the dewback and their ride to the major population hub, Kasia didn't dare fall asleep—she didn't trust Toro enough to leave him alone with Shand. The entire night, she had kept tabs on what both the wannabe bounty hunter and the assassin had been thinking, making sure not to dive too deep into their innermost thoughts, but maintaining an awareness of their current state.

Now though, after hours of mental exertion and physical wear and tear, Kasia's strength was flagging, her gift slowly faltering. She could only hope that Din returned soon before she lost her capabilities entirely during the few hours they took to recharge.

"It's been a while. Oh, look, the suns are coming up," Fennec suddenly announced the obvious in a snarky tone as one of the suns began to make its accent on the horizon. Kasia supposed that there was not much on this sandy wasteland of a planet that could be deemed beautiful—but the image of dusk breaking on the horizon managed to paint a breathtaking picture.

"Quiet," Toro barked in response, causing Fennec to sigh dramatically.

"Look, there's still time to make my rendezvous in Mos Espa," she started, obviously trying to negotiate with the young, aspiring bounty hunter. Kasia's eyes narrowed at the assassin as she continued. "Take me to it, and I can pay you double the price on my head."

Warning bells began to toll in Kasia's head. She didn't think that Toro would be stupid enough to take the bait, but then again it was hard to say.

"Quiet," Kasia snapped, reiterating Toro's earlier warning.

She glanced nervously at the young bounty hunter next to her, only to find him staring off into the sunrise, seemingly uninterested in Fennec's offer. "I don't care about the money," he dismissed.

Kasia could practically see the gears turning in Shand's head at the response, trying to look for a way to manipulate the young man into doing what she wanted. Wanting to forestall any potential problem before it took deeper root, Kasia speared her mind to Fennec's—only to find that her brain was already too worn out to properly use her gift. Panic rose in Kasia's chest as she came up empty, her Eulentian capabilities already spent. It would be hours before she could hope at utilizing them again.

Unaware of the other woman's panic, Fennec ignored Kasia's warning and continued to speak. "Oh, so the Mandalorian and his little girlfriend keep all the money for themselves?" she challenged Toro.

"Only because I let them."

Shand scoffed at that, and Kasia contemplated knocking the assassin out just so they didn't have to hear her continued to rattle on. But... she couldn't do that because then Toro might begin to ask questions about the deal, about who they were.