Chapter 7

To Be Courted

Bridgerton House, London

After the Opera yesterday evening, Violet Bridgerton invited The Princess Royal to today's evening dinner. To her surprise, the Prince and the Duke were invited as well.

When the Prince and Princess arrived at the house, everyone was shocked by the presence of her brother. All Bridgerton women were speechless by him, Hyacinth almost fainted, and the Bridgerton men hated to admit that they felt slightly intimidated.

While dinner was in the making, everyone stayed in the drawing room, mainly it was George answering the young Bridgertons endless questions about...his life.

For the first time in a while, Charlotte saw her brother smiling. Of course, he's smiled at her, but not this way, not with this amount of joy. And for a slight moment, a laugh escaped his lips. She was proud of him. He was enjoying himself.

"Your Royal Highness," Anthony called for Charlotte, but cleared her throat uncomfortably when George turned his head and looked at him. "Princess, may I speak with you?"

"Of course. And please, call me as you all usually do, do not let the presence of the Prince stop you," Charlotte said with a smile as she stood from her chair and walked side by side with Anthony until they were on the other side of the room.

"I was unaware that my mother invited you and your brother to dinner. Nonetheless, I appreciate you accepting her invitation," he started saying and she chuckled softly.

"How could I not accept such a gracious invitation?" She looked towards her brother. "Needless to say, I am astonished that George agreed to join me."

"He is everything you once said he is," he said with a small smile. "You forgot to add how good he is at intimidating people."

"Remember, he's a Prince, and the future King. It only depends on who he is with," she sighed contently. "Even before our sister's death, more specifically since his engagement to his wife, he's hardly ever smiled, genuinely, and now..."

Anthony frowned at her pause, and got worried when a single tear rolled down her cheek. Immediately he grabbed a tissue from his trouser's pocket and gently wiped it away. She looked at him, and her smile grew a bit.

"Now... He's over the Bridgertons incantation," she whispered.

"Incantation?" He asked.

"There has not been a single moment when I have not been with your family and I have not been happy," she said sincerely, and he smiled. "And seeing him like this...it fills me a joy I never thought I would feel towards him."

"Thank you, Char. I can assure you we all feel the same for you," he said sincerely and sighed. "Now... About my letter to you—"

"As much as your presence would have put a smile on my face, I assure you there is no need to apologize for your absence," she cut him off to avoid an unnecessary apology. "Truly. Trust me. We see each other almost every day."

"Oh, of– of course," he chuckled nervously.

"Anthony, Your Royal Highness," Violet approached them. "Dinner is ready."