Danger

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading and commenting!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Something was off. Really, really off. Call it a mental radar that Maya somehow had adopted inside her head for situations that she had been through in her childhood. She had been through enough to pick up a certain talent for knowing when something wasn't right.

It was Riley's twenty-first birthday. And of course, like any other twenty one year old in the world, everyone had decided to spend it getting drinks. Surprisingly enough, it was Riley's idea. She was the baby of the friend-group. And now that she was finally of age, they were all able to go out and enjoy drinks together.

Maya was not a drinker, in fact, after things had happened with her dad, she had decided that she was going to stay sober in her adult life. Along with her was Lucas, who claimed that his life was crazy enough and he didn't need to add alcohol into the mix.

Farkle wasn't too big on alcohol either, but he enjoyed a drink here and there with Smackle, as they were more of wine and champagne people.

Then there was Zay, who was more drunk than what should be legal. Dancing wildly and singing horribly loud and off key with the music in the club. Being such a bad influence as he had Riley take shots with him and pull her onto the dance floor with him.

Lucas shook his head and rolled his eyes at his best friend and his girlfriend, both of which he knew he would be stuck with taking care of for the night.

Things seemed so normal, well, as normal as things could be when you were at a club at one in the morning. But Maya still couldn't help but feel like there was something that wasn't right. The hairs on the back of her neck was standing straight up, and she was feeling extremely anxious.

She jumped when she felt an arm wrap around her shoulder and lips come to kiss her on the cheek.

"You good, Gorgeous?" Maya calmed at the sound of her fiancé's soothing voice and leaned into his side, resting her head on his shoulder.

The feeling was still there, but she felt a sense of calm come over her now that Josh was by her side again. He wasn't a drinker either. He used to be back in is early college days, but after Maya explained to him why she had sworn off alcohol, he did, too.

Of course, Maya told him that she didn't want him to do that for her, but Josh claimed that he couldn't drink after knowing in good conscious the way that she feels about it. It was quite the conversation, ending in Josh telling her that this was his decision and that he could live without alcohol, but he couldn't live without her.

"I think I'm ready to go." Maya told him as she turned around in his arms and nuzzled her face in his neck. "I think I've had enough for one night." Josh could feel how tense she felt as he wrapped both arms around her frame.

"Okay. You want to let the others know or do you want me?" He asked her. Maya tightened her grip around his waist.

"I don't feel right about leaving them." She said. "Especially Riley the way she is right now." Josh nodded his head as he rubbed his hands up and down her back.

Maya was going into her last year of college, but Josh had already graduated. Meaning that he had his own apartment in New York, close by NYU and Maya ended up moving into him just a few weeks ago after she finished her Junior year in college.

Riley and Smackle were going to be roommates for their last year of college as Maya was no longer living on campus anymore.

"I'll talk to Lucas." Josh said. Maya hesitated, but nodded and let him go. He walked over towards Lucas, who looked like he was ready to head out as well.