Chapter 10 - Knox

"I'm going to get a drink

"I'm going to get a drink." Mariana smiles tightly at Cavallo and scurries off, her hands holding her dress up to make her departure easier.

"Your wife looks beautiful," Cavallo notes in amusement, probably because I'm still watching her walk away like I was goddamn paid to do it.

I wrench my gaze from her to Cavallo, being sure to keep my gaze passive. "I have eyes."

And they work. The second I saw her in that dress I wanted to rip it off of her with my bare hands. It's fucking criminal the way it hugs her body, which hasn't been easy to ignore in the first place. I've been gawking like a fucking pussy all night. I blame it on the fact that I haven't been laid in weeks but Mariana isn't about to believe that anytime soon.

I suppose she has some sense if she refuses to trust me. She'd do well to remember I'm her enemy and nightmare, even if she looks like temptation wrapped in a present for me to fucking peel open.

"Maybe this wasn't such a bad match after all," Cavallo murmurs into his drink.

I toss him a bland look. He may be Boss but I've never been the type to fear anything. "She's Ferrera's blood. She looks like that on the outside but she's fucking tainted on the inside."

"She's a good girl."

"She's a pain in the ass. Why the fuck are we talking about her?"

He raises a brow. "Because she's your wife."

"Only in the form of technicality." I look around the room to make sure no one's paying attention to us then lower my voice. "Well?"

"I have them," he nods, becoming serious. "Are you sure you know what you're doing? You know how reluctant I am to be involved."

"Your involvement ends here. This is all I needed from you. Besides, if this works then you know damn well I'm saving your ass."

"If," he emphasizes and sighs deeply. His eyes darken at nothing in particular. "And if what you're saying is really true..."

"It is."

"Then you better come out of this with some fucking evidence. I can't show you leniency a second time."

"Leniency?" I take a step a closer to him, getting in his face. I have respect for the man in front of me but this is territory nobody crosses. This is personal. "I didn't have it then and I don't have it now. And when the truth gets out, you better hope you picked the right side."