Chapter 26: Glenwood Inn

"Why are we stopping?" Jessica asked as she felt the carriage slow down. It was still light out and they could still travel a few more hours before they'd have to stop for the night. It was a two-day ride to London, but her family always tried to cover as much distance as possible on the first day to arrive fairly early the next.

Jacob leaned forward and looked out the window. "I believe it's because we've reached the inn where we'll be staying tonight."

"But we could travel longer."

"I always stay here."

A footman came to open the carriage door, and Jacob stepped out without offering more of an explanation. Once outside, he held out his hand, and she allowed him to assist her down. They were at the edge of a small village, so they must have turned off from the main road to get there. A small inn lay before her in an old-fashioned stone house. A wooden sign hanging out front on squeaking hinges read 'Glenwood Inn'.

She looked up at Jacob, who still held her hand in place on his arm. "Where are we?"

He nodded towards the sign. "Glenwood."

"So I've gathered," she replied impatiently. "Why are we here? This isn't the way to London."

"I like this inn," he muttered.

They entered the inn together, and she was glad to find it clean. Simple but cosy. The decor and furniture were mainly in dark wood, but the many lamps and candles made her feel welcome. An enticing smell of cinnamon and vanilla clung to the air, making her stomach growl.

"Lord Wortham!" A robust man in his early fifties came around the counter and shook Jacob's hand. "We weren't expecting you."

"Roarke," Jacob replied with a smile. "It's good to see you. How is your wife?"

"As good as ever," the older man replied with a congenial smile. "She's in the kitchen baking her famous cinnamon buns. Will you be staying the night?"

"Yes, please give me the usual room if it's available."   

"Ah, it's always available for you, my lord." The man smiled again and returned behind the counter to get a key off a hook. He handed it to one footman and sent them ahead with Jessica's valise and another bag, which she assumed was Jacob's.

"Could I interest you in some cinnamon buns later, my lord?" Mr Roarke asked as he came back to smile at Jacob. Jessica could see that he glanced at her now and then, but he mentioned nothing, so she could only assume he was used to Jacob bringing women with him to this inn. The thought didn't put her in a better mood.

"Perhaps," Jacob said. "But please forgive me. I've been remiss." He pulled her a little closer. "Please meet my wife, Jessica. Lady Wortham."

"Y... Your wife?" For once, the older man didn't smile. In fact, he looked like he was just about to drop dead from the shock. But then he seemed to digest the news, and he smiled even brighter than before, if such a thing was possible. "Well, congratulations are in order, of course! I see that you've made a fine choice. A fine choice, indeed."

Jacob chuckled. "I do have impeccable taste."

She turned her head to stare at him. Remembering her manners she nodded towards Mr Roarke who was still beaming, "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr Roarke. May I ask how you know my husband?"

"I think we will go to our room now," Jacob interrupted. "I trust you will excuse us, Roarke?"

"Naturally, naturally. Newlyweds and all. Of course, you'll want to be alone! Off you go, then."