Chapter 2

I stretched my hands over my head and let out a groan. My phone showed it was already 2 in the afternoon. Cocktails, the bar, Reyn driving me home. Last night felt like a situation I imagined before falling asleep. And I would have believed that too if it wasn't for the message notification plastered on my screen.

R: Good morning, princess.

My fingers typed and deleted several responses before I finally settled on one. It didn't sound too eager or too disinterested, just as intended.

Hi, Reyn. Sorry, I just woke up.

My phone buzzed again just as I finished brushing.

R: That's okay, baby. Did you sleep well?

Surprisingly well. Did you?

R: Very.

I began typing. Though, when I saw that he was typing, I paused in anticipation.

R: Do you have any plans for today?

Not really, I'll probably just stay in.

R: Let's go out for lunch? In an hour or so?

A man who is straightforward and takes initiative? We love to see it.

I'd love to! Is 3:00 okay?

R: Perfect, baby. I'll pick you up.

Okie.

I face-planted into my pillow and squealed, kicking my legs every which way before calling Tess. Without omitting a dramatic I-told-you-so, she gushed at how happy she was for me. I hadn't expressed interest in a guy before, so she was ecstatic. She was also eager for any kind of drama. She said it had to do with how medical school robbed her of any semblance of a social life, so she was left to live vicariously through others.

Ending the call, I looked through my clothes and pulled out a black dress. It exposed most of my back and had strings that tied at my shoulder blade level. Two layers of ruffles made up the skirt which ended about halfway down my thigh. I quickly showered and applied my makeup before getting dressed. Reyn texted me that he had arrived just as I added the finishing touches.

On the way down, I worried I may have been overdressed. Maybe I should've asked Reyn what he was wearing. Or, at least what vibe we were going for.

I spotted him leaning against his car, tapping on his phone dressed in black pants and a beige button-up. My worries vanished replaced instead by envy. How unfair of him. How could someone look so good so effortlessly? His sleeves were even rolled up showing off his sculpted forearms.

I slowly walked over to him, the clicking of my heels signaling my arrival. The weight of his gaze and my building anxiety almost stopped me in my tracks. But I found reassurance and comfort in the curve of his lips and the mischievous glint in his eyes.

"You look gorgeous, baby," he took my hand and twirled me around eliciting a lighthearted giggle. My hand landed gently on his chest and I looked up at him. His other hand came to rest on my hip, tactfully avoiding my bare back.

"Thank you," a smile graced my face, "you look very handsome."

He softly tapped the tip of my nose in thanks before moving to sit me down. Anyone watching would have thought we had been together for months, maybe even years. He guided me using our intertwined hands. I took note of the way he used his hand to protect my head from hitting the top of the car.

"So thoughtful." I mused.

"My princess deserves the best," he responded simply. But it didn't feel so simple to me. This man was dangerous. If he kept this up, I was going to fall hard fast. The only thing that sobered me up was wondering how many women he must've charmed like this. Maybe I should have asked Tess more about him. But, at the same time, she wouldn't have approved if she didn't think he was a good guy. Either way, I had to keep my composure and resolve.