*Chapter 4 - Sea Salt*

Loki finally stops near the stables and you catch your breath after having essentially fled from the palace following the audience with the Allfather.

With a soft, and almost foreign, compassion he approaches his horse - the beautiful, majestic black stallion in the far stall. A smile graces his thin lips as he runs his hand along the horse's body, circling him once before stopping at his front, and placing his forehead to the beast's.

"Trygve, my friend," he whispers. The stallion's ears perk forward, twitching in excitement at each spoken word. Loki turns back to you, reaching out his hand. He pulls you closer to Trygve, who seems to remember you as he whinnies, and nuzzles your hand.

"Will you ride with me, my love?" Loki asks.

You nod, excited yet nervous. You enjoy the horses themselves, and love the feeling of riding them through Asgard, high upon their backs. Yet there's a certain anxiety in not having full control of their movements that still unsettles you.

Loki senses your underlying nerves, and keeps hold of your hand as with his other he holds his palm toward Trygve, and whispers a few words you don't understand beneath his breath. In a beautiful, crystalline haze of emerald green a blanket, bridle and saddle manifest from the mist - fastened securely in place around the stallion's muscular frame. His haunches ripple with pure strength as he lets out an eager snort.

"Lean on me, love," Loki whispers as he lifts you atop and climbs up behind, giving your shoulder a gentle tug and encouraging you to settle back into his chest.

Loki clicks at Trygve who takes off quickly. Your heart leaps as he races from the stables into town, and through the somewhat quiet and empty city streets. A laugh bubbles up from deep inside your chest as with each stride your stomach swoops and dives in excitement. Loki's own laugh hums through your back as your hair flies in wild tresses behind you.

"There's a freedom in this, is there not my love?" Loki laughs into the wind.

You respond with a surprised shout as Trygve suddenly leaps over a forgotten sack in the middle of the cobblestone road. Loki's arm around your waist tightens, keeping you safe and secure on Trygve's back as he leans forward and presses a kiss to your temple.

Through the streets Trygve gallops until the magnificent homes and shops fade away behind you, and you emerge through a gate into the wilder and untamed parts of Asgard. An area you've never seen before. Loki slows Trygve to a gentle canter, and the three of you make your way down the hillside.

"What's out here?" you question, staring up in wonder as birds fly lazy circles across a mottled blue sky.

Loki takes a deep breath. "The sea," he exhales. "Can't you smell her?"

You draw a breath of your own, the sea-salted air thick with a curiously sweet scent of rose hips. It's like nothing you've ever smelled on Earth. No rotten fish or mildew-riddled piers. No decaying seaweed.

As Trygve makes his way down the hill, grass turns to sand and white caps beat in gentle rhythm along the shoreline. It reminds you of home. Of Stark Tower, and how so far in the distance from sixty stories up you could see where the ocean met Rockaway Beach.

"What are you thinking?" Loki whispers in your ear.

"Of home," you say, melancholy eating at the edges of your words. "Or...Earth, I guess. Home is here now," you grin, giving Loki a reassuring smile.

But Loki sees through it, like always.

"Come closer," he encourages. You lean back, nestling in close as Loki speaks low and soft in your ear. "Cast your eyes upon the sea, love. Do you see how the waves change color as they roll upon the shore?"