𝐗𝐕𝐈: Starry Night

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

STARRY NIGHT

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          "YOU NEED TO toughen up, buttercup."

     Laughter wreathes Bellamy's voice as he traipses back from the end of the corridor where he'd displayed a blood-red tapestry with a sloppily scrawled X in the centre. He seems rather pleased with himself as he pops a few nuts into his mouth, but horror brews on Lyra's lips.

     Her eyes are tenacious as she examines the plethora of gun. "I have a bad feeling about this."

     "About what, guns?" Bellamy just grins, his eyes roaming them gleefully. "This changes everything. No more running from spears - ready to dance with the devil, Angel?"

     She presses her palms to her eyes. "Bellamy - "

     "We're lucky the rifles were packed in grease. The fact that they survived means we're not sitting ducks anymore."

      "Bellamy," she says again, chest heaving.

     Maybe it's the way her octaves wobble a little too much, maybe he can somehow feel the anxiety rolling off her like an icy sea of torment, but regardless, she feels him touch a fingertip to her bare shoulder and graze pale fire down her arm.

      "We need these. You know we do."

     That was what their ancestors had said about bombs, about nukes, wasn't it? And look at how that turned out. All for survival. Every single terrible thing they ever did was all for survival.

      She stays quiet.

     He curls his hands around hers, tugging them from her face. "C'mon. You need to learn how to do this."

     With every fibre of her being screaming at her to stop, faulty gods howling that this is not who she is, Lyra takes the onyx gun he offers her. It's heavier than it looks, like a leadened weight. Like a tombstone. When she glances up, she can hardly meet his eyes, the colour of them reminding her of the way coal smoulders in the forge before it is crushed to diamonds. He's close to her now. He's really close to her.

     "How do I do it?" She asks, her voice completely too quiet in the emptiness.

     "Over your shoulder. Here, let me help."