Chapter 13:: Me and You, You and Her

Chapter 13// Me and You, You and Her

“So how are things going with you and Jesse?”

Adam’s question takes me a little bit by surprise, and I look up from my milkshake, focusing in on his curious green orbs. “Oh,” I reply, “Um…good I guess? I mean, we’re pretty good friends now, and I’ve texted Rita’s group a little bit since our shopping trip. He’s happy.” I glance over at Heather when I say this- I know it’s been a while since we’ve hung out and I feel really bad about it- I just haven’t had the time. Since Jennifer’s physiotherapy visit the other day, I’ve been helping her with stretching and light exercise that Anne recommended. Alongside that, I’ve been doing ironing and cleaning and everything in between, preparing for the arrival of Jesse’s Dad in two days’ time. I want him to know how in control I’ve been, and just how hard I’ve been working to try and make it up to his family. If he’s angry at me for hurting his wife, I don’t know what I’ll do. I’m already working 24/7.

“Oh right? How was that shopping trip?” Heather asks, but there’s a little bit of an edge to her voice. Immediately, I’m hit with a pang of guilt. I haven’t meant to make her feel left out, I just haven’t had the time over summer break so far to do anything with her. I can understand why she might be hurt at the fact that I’ve been hanging out with Rita’s group. Seeing my guilty expression, Heather sighs in defeat. “Sorry, I’m just a little lonely is all. I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever.” Her head droops grumpily and she stares at her lap, flicking the straw of her milkshake.

“Hey,” I say, drawing her attention. “I promise we’ll do something soon, okay? I’m so busy at the moment, but I’ll try and get a day off or something.” I grab her arm and look her in the eyes, trying to show her how much I mean it. She nods, a small smile sprouting onto her lips. We’re all on our break from work at the moment, and some of our employees are working. In about two minutes however, I’m back on my shift. Shyly, I glance back the corner where Jesse’s group are sat, laughing. I’ve already realised that I’ll never truly belong there, despite my friendship with most of the people. I wasn’t there from the beginning, and they’ve all bonded. I’m just grateful that I’ve made the friendships I have done, even if I don’t really pursue them after Jennifer’s healed.

“So you still like him,” Heather analyses, and I turn back to face her in surprise. “Why haven’t you said something to him? Have you shown him how much better you are for him than she is?”

“Oh come on Heather,” I roll my eyes, “He’s made it incredibly clear to me that he likes Rita. I know my place, and I’ll get through it.” With hours of Taylor Swift and Ben&Jerry- I’m sure I can do it.

“Just go up to him, grab his dick and tell him you like him heaps,” Heather snorts, “I’m sure he’ll change his mind. If he freaks out then he’s probably gay.”

Adam shudders beside me, disregarding Heather’s comment. “You’re giving somebody the best of you, and he is choosing somebody else. It won’t stop hurting for ages, you know.” He warns me, his tongue piercing flashing as he bites his lip. “Trust me, I have experience. Are you sure you want to continue this little deal of yours?” His eyes flash over me, as if evaluating my strength and I instantly tilt my head a little higher. Why does nobody think I can handle myself in this situation? Everett, Heather, and Adam- they all think I’m too weak. Do I really appear that sensitive? Would I crumble that easily?

“I know what I’m doing Adam,” I assure him, smiling slightly. “I’ll be fine. If not, then I formally give you permission to say I told you so, and I appreciate the concern.” I glance up at the clock in the corner, slurping down the last of my milkshake. “My shift starts now. I’ll speak to you guys in a bit.” I stand up from my seat and throw my milkshake cup into the bin. Adam gives me a nifty little wave, but Heather says nothing: eyeing up the corner table again jealously.