XXIX

Tʜᴇ Dᴜᴋᴇ's ᴅᴀʀᴋ ᴘᴀsᴛ

Kaeya was on edge after what Childe told him the day before, so he took to deep diving himself

Kaeya was on edge after what Childe told him the day before, so he took to deep diving himself. There had to be someone who knew of the past Duke's actions. In all honesty, Kaeya knew it was none of his business, and yet, here he was, speaking to people who are beyond him in lifetimes, and yet he left each person with the same amount of information he went to them with.
"I don't understand, why doesn't anyone know?!"

"Because it's the darkest secret of Snezhnaya and if you keep looking that woman; Veronica, will kill you. So please stop looking for answers out in the open."Kaeya spun around and attempts to freeze the person behind him just to be sure but he was met with a burst of fire.
"Who-"

"My name isn't important right now. But if you want to know the secret, we mustn't speak out in the open like this, there no telling if that woman has spies around in the field."Kaeya nods at the cloaked figure then follow him off and where they end up is the secret flower field.
"Isn't it a bit rude to hide your face from the person who willingly followed you?"

"Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude but I needed to hurry and bring you here."The figure pulls the cloak down to display a young male with a scar on the right side of his face.

The male looked no older than thirteen but Kaeya knew better than to assume a person's age based on looks, he's been slapped plenty of times before he learned that lesson

"What do you know."

"I must warn you, it's a very sad story."

"I'm still willing to hear. This is all in the name of protecting the light of the Knights; King M/n."The 'boy' nods with a grim expression, his hand reaches up to touch the scar.
"Three hundred years ago in Snezhnaya, lived a boy who was loved by the King of Vestal, so much in fact that the king wanted to bring the child to his home and raise him in the way of the elven folk, despite his element, the young boy was very in-tune with all of nature. The king visited Snezhnaya more for the young boy and less for his dear friend; the Duke.
When the king and Duke did manage to spend time together, the king couldn't help but openly adore the young boy and the Duke didn't take too well to this. The Duke soon realized that once the king took the boy with him, there would be no reason to visit Snezhnaya...There came a day that forever broke the poor king's already fragile state of mind. On the king's way back to Snezhnaya, the Duke knew he had to get rid of the boy before his arrival... And so he...He murdered the boy and dumped his body in the frozen forest.
However, the Duke didn't expect the king to stop by said forest. When the king found the boy, it broke him, the little happiness he had left; snuffed out like a flame on a candle."
Kaeya was speechless, without a doubt the old M/n went through many traumatic events in his life.

The Cryo user sat there in stunned silence. If anything he wanted to walk- no run to M/n and hug him but he had to know who the boy in front of him was but from the story...He sorta knew but he wanted confirmation.
"You're the boy, the one M/n opened his heart to. The one he wanted to-to..."Kaeya's voice creaked, he felt his tears line his eyes. He turns his vision to the flowers swaying near his legs.
"What's your name?"

"My name is Sage, I would have been prince Sage if I lived."Kaeya snaps his head up just to see a similar spirit, it resembles Val but much different.

"Kaeya snaps his head up just to see a similar spirit, it resembles Val but much different

On its forehead was the Pyro insignia, glowing, flickering even, just like a fire.
'Please, the king must know of this... It'll set us all free.'

"All?"

'Yes, there are more than a hundred of us but I was the only one seen by the king...When he found me, I couldn't do anything but watch him cradle my cold corps and cry.' Kaeya finally obtained the answer he had been looking for but in gaining it, he was filled with sorrow and hatred.
"I promise. I'll set you free, all of you!"Kaeya leaves the garden in a hurry, and as he walked with a full purpose, surrounding him were the souls of many who lost their lives at the hand of Duke Zylith.

Kaeya immediately made it to the headquarters and was lucky enough that everyone was there.
"M/n...There's something you need to know about Zylith."From the tone of Kaeya's voice, everyone knew it was serious, especially M/n.

"From the tone of Kaeya's voice, everyone knew it was serious, especially M/n