Forty seven

Erin yawned as she walked up the steps to her house. Jesse had to leave at four am to fly to a conference in Maine so she was staying at home after goodbye drinks at Joe's.

"Hey," Addison called. Erin looked up, seeing she was sat on the porch swing.

"Hey," Erin smiled. She walked over and sat down beside her. "Don't you want to come in to the frat house? We've got half of the world inside," Erin said. Addison chuckled.

"I've got a plane to catch in a few hours. I wasn't going to leave without saying goodbye," Addison said.

"Oh," Erin said. She nodded. "Thanks. I didn't really expect you to say goodbye," she said. Addison shrugged.

"You were right. I was being stupid about you not telling me about Jesse. He seems really nice, for what it's worth, and I'm glad you're happy," Addison said.

"Thank you, Addie. I am," Erin smiled, leaning against Addison's side. "Are you happy?" Erin asked.

"I'm getting there," Addison said. Erin hummed.

"Good," she said. "That's good," she said.

"It's sad," Jesse muttered to Erin, putting his chin on her shoulder as the two of them stared at Derek sat on the couch. Meredith was trying to coax him up but Derek wasn't very happy. He'd lost his pregnant patient and had been slammed with a lawsuit within a week. He'd been sat on the couch for three days and Erin had been kind of glad that Jesse had asked her to spend more time at his place because it meant she could get away from the weird energy in the house.

"He's eaten all of the marshmallows out of the cereal," Alex handed Erin a box of lucky charms. She peered inside with a frown.

"They're the best part," she said.

"And they're gone," Alex said.

"I'll grab some more when I go shopping later," Jesse said. He'd also picked up on Derek's usual chore of shopping, as the rest of the housemates were useless and he finished work earlier than any of them did.

"And grab some tampons, please," Erin said.

"Okay," Jesse nodded. Erin sighed and looked back at her cereal.

"My marshmallows," she whispered. She stuck her hand in and grabbed a handful, putting them in her mouth as she walked to the kitchen with Alex and Jesse. "It's just not as nice," she said.

"Derek walks away. That's his problem," Meredith said. Erin hummed as they did charts. "He gets terminal patients. He's their last chance. The clinical trial wasn't easy on him, either. He lost a lot of people, but barely more than he's saved. He's just not in the right frame of mind," she said.

"And he just walked away when Webber asked him to operate?" Erin said.

"Yeah," Meredith said. Erin winced.

"That's not good. That's really not good," she said.

"I know," Meredith sighed, closing the chart over. "He did say he'd stop eating your marshmallows, though," she said.

"That's progress," Erin smiled slightly.

"Yeah," Meredith agreed.

"Hey," Arizona sighed, leaning against the nurses desk with Erin. "How's your big bone problem?" she asked. Erin winced.

"Didn't go down too well?" she asked.

"Well, no. She didn't like it but I don't like her so it's okay. She was kind of freaked out about the fact that we're friends, considering she's slept with you," Arizona made a face that looked an awful lot like jealousness. Erin frowned. That was weird.