Chapter 3

Alec was sitting on their bed, his back to the door as Serena walked in, kicking off her heels and crawling up behind him, wrapping her arms around him as her chin rested on his shoulder.

"Wanna tell me what's going on inside that gorgeous head of yours?" she asked as she kissed his temple.

"I'm just - I'm so tired of Jace thinking that he's better than everybody else, that he's better than me! And Valentine's daughter of all people appears out of nowhere, the daughter of the man who killed your father, and he's willing to put our lives at risk for her."

Serena was saddened at the mentioning of her late father, Michael Wayland, but probably not as sad as she should've been. He wasn't the nicest father, but it had still hurt when she'd watched as Valentine had killed him.

"Baby, listen to me," she began as her fingers ran through the hair on the back of his head. "Jace is not better than you and you are not better than him. You are parabatai, you are equal. And I'm not defending my brother, because I don't condone what he did in the slightest and I don't trust Clary either. And I may not agree with him, but I will support him because he is my family and someone's gotta keep him alive. But I assure you, that you are not in his shadow, nor anyone else's."

"I really missed you," Alec said as their lips met and they fell back on the bed. "How was Idris?" he asked as she snuggled into his chest, fingers playing with her hair.

"The mission went well. But, I think we need to consider a residence for just us in Alicante. I love Robert and Maryse, but I can't take another three days with them."

"They're still arguing?"

"More often than not. I think Maryse was going to request a visit to check up on us, get out of Idris for a while."

Alec groaned as he rolled onto his back, eyes closing. "She's more critical than ever when she's angry."

"Baby you worry too much. You'll get wrinkles," she said pinching the skin on his forehead so it wrinkled, and Alec's eyes opened as he gave her a look.

Serena only smiled as she said, "It'll all be ok."

"Have I ever told you, that I love you?"

Serena smirked as she replied, "Have I ever told you that I love you too?"

And their lips met.