10. Eugenie's wedding

"There you go, Char," Victoria stood up after carefully knotting the ribbon on her sister's bridesmaid dress. "All ready. You look stunning, Princess."

Charlotte smiled. "Thanks Vicky. You too."

"Oh sweetie, thanks." She scooped her up, placing her on her hip, and fixed her dress. "Would you like a lift to the car, Princess?"

"Yeah." Then, Charlotte started gently playing with Victoria's fascinator. "When can I wear a hat like- Like that?" She asked, causing Victoria to giggle.

"A few more years darling. You're going to look beautiful, though." Victoria tucked a piece of hair behind Charlotte's ear.

"How do you know?"

"Oh, that's an easy question: because you already are."

"Is everything good here?" William walked in, followed by George. "Are my girls alright?"

"Perfectly fine, dad." With a little jump, Victoria avoided her sister to slide down.

William nodded, "You sure you are, love?"

His eldest daughter took a deep breath. "I can't miss Genie's wedding. That wouldn't be fair to her- And uncle upset you too, so I suppose that's alright."

"He did - and it's not, but I get your point." William replied. "I have a little surprise for you. I know Louise is going to be part of the wedding, looking after the kids, and you'll certainly miss her so I asked myself what could cheer you up, and what could I do so that you would have someone to talk with. So mh, I was wondering, would you like if James comes to the wedding too? He'll be able to stay with us even though he's not a Royal - I asked grammy and she agreed."

"What?" Victoria's eyes opened wide in disbelief. "How did you- How did she agree?"

The Prince giggled. "It wasn't hard at all. You're probably her favorite person and she would move the world for you, honestly. I mean she's the Queen so she kinda literally could. I just told her it would have been important for you and she was like «Great, do it.»" He joked.

"Oh my-" Victoria sighed, placing down her sister. "Dad, you're the best" he went straight to hug him.

"Oh sweetheart," William sighed, hugging her thigh. "I just hope you have a good time, uh? Nor me or mum will force you to speak with Harry or Meg for now, as it only happened yesterday. Is that alright?"

"I suppose I will, anyway. Better do it now rather than waiting for days, isn't it?" Victoria sighed, starting playing with her hands, and habit she got from her mother. She used to do that often - during official events, when she was stressed, when she was excited, or sad. That's why she learned to bring a clutch with her from a very early age, just so she could have her hands busy, and avoid to rip her hangnails.

"Sorry William," while they were talking, Nanny Maria walked in the room. "The car for the children is here."

"Oh sure. Let's go get you both in the car," he held both Charlotte and George's hands and they walked out, leaving Victoria behind.

Maria waited a bit longer, staring at her eldest girl. After years of constantly taking care of her, she could tell within seconds how Victoria was feeling, and she was never wrong. She was one of the people Victoria trusted more.

"Is everything alright darling?"

"It is, yes. Thanks Mari." The Princess smiled, taking a couple steps ahead. "It's just about uncle Harry, you know. But it's getting better, I'll get over it." She sighed.

"I know how much you love your uncle, Victoria, and though I can't say anything about the family that gave me a place to live and it's currently paying me, I don't agree with his latest decisions at all. I know you're all grown up now, but I hope you know you can rely on me whenever you want, and that I'll always be here for you, and you can always talk to me. Okay?" She smiled.