~ 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝒶𝓍 ~

The shock of not waking up in my own room resided as I remembered the hectic occurrences of the past few days. The morning had been pretty uneventful. I changed into comfortable clothes, watched TV on the family iPad, and exchanged a few texts on the group chat with Alex, Zack, and Kiera until school started. I emailed all of my teachers that I would be absent from class today, but I didn't provide a reason. I also messaged my softball coach that I am unable to attend this week's practices due to 'unforeseen events' at my mother's request.

 A few more tests were administered by the doctors, but nothing as bad as the scan. Dr. McLeish entered the room smiling, "Hey Sam! How are you holding up?" I returned the smile, "Great! Thanks. Any reports?" She talked as she flipped through the chart, "No. The test results will not be in until next week. The good news is you can go home if you promise me to take it easy! I see no reason to hold you here. Everything has been normal, but I am going to prescribe you medication for the headaches." She hands Mom a prescription sheet, "You will need to take two pills a day, one in the morning and one right before you go to bed, for a whole week. If it doesn't go away then go see your doctor. You got that?" I did a mock salute, "Yes mam'!" She chuckled and continued to answer the multitude of questions that streamed from my parents, mostly Mom. 

As they talked, I began to gather up all of my things that had scattered across the room: a sweatshirt, tote bag, PJs, and toiletry pouch were among them. We said our goodbyes and thanks to Dr. McLeish before she left. We continued to pack the room and Mom went to check up out of the hospital.

On the way home, we stopped for gas at the 7-11 station and picked up my medication from the local pharmacy. While we drove, I picked at the unfamiliar hospital band that stretched across my wrist. Written on it was a jumble of words that made little to no sense to me. The weariness of the past few days was catching up to me when we pulled into the driveway of the house I had lived in since I was young. All three of us piled out of the car and carried the heaps of stuff from the trunk into the living room. Mittens greeted us at the door with a soft meow. I gave up on unpacking and promptly collapsed upon my bed fully clothed, and was snoring within seconds.

I woke up on my covers to my mother's voice in the kitchen, "Hey kiddos! Try to keep quiet, Sam is sleeping in her room. How was school?" I heard Kiera reply with an "It was pretty boring. How is Sam doing? Has she gotten any results?" I stumbled out of my dark room and answered with a "She is just fine and no results yet. We are getting them next week." At the sound of my voice, everyone turned to face me. "Oh good your up. Have some tea. I made mint, your favorite!" I walked over to Mom, grabbed the tea, kissed her on the cheek, before settling on the couch where I wrapped myself up in the fuzzy grey blanket that matched the grey-yellow theme of the room. My friends followed me to the couch and made themselves comfortable. Kiera set her mug of tea on the coaster next to mine and continued to munch on the handful of goldfish she had found in the pantry. Zach placed a blue folder filled with homework and notes that I missed at school. "Thanks, guys! I was given the clear if I take it easy so I should be going to school tomorrow-" "No you're not! I want to keep you for a couple more days. Sorry, but you got me for a mother." My mom interrupted. I turned back to my friends and brother, "Let me rephrase that. I will not be going to school tomorrow." "Really? I need you to get through the day! How will I ever survive math!" Kiera wailed. Our conversation continued on, flowing easily between the friends. 

In the midst of the intense disagreement of ice-cream flavors, Mittens woke up from his nap on the bed warmed by the sun and curled up next to my newly-filled, steaming tea mug. We all laughed at him as he stretched before us and promptly curling up around the warmth.

-------------------------

I awoke with a start when the moon was still sluggishly moving across the starry sky. This time, I had gotten a little past halfway across the bridge before falling through the splintered wood. What was peculiar this time was that as I was drifting through the mist, I thought I saw the bottom of the cliff. I shook the thoughts out of my head, reminding myself that it was truly only a dream, and slipped off the bed to get a glass of water. I crept through the dark hallway past Alex's room when I heard muffled conversation coming from my parent's room. I forgot about my mission and guiltily listened in. Mom was saying: "-trying to say that I'm just worried. What if it really is something bad Robert?" "It will be okay. We just have to be strong. For Sam." "But what if it isn't okay? What if she is hurting and not telling us?" Mom then burst into a waterfall of sobs and tears. I heard Dad take her into his arms and consoled her while she wept into his T-shirt.

My worries returned to me and I slinked back into the shadows.