Chapter 13 - Infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D

"Absolutely nothing. It was just a normal house," Clint reported in the conference room.

"Besides some surveillance cameras, it was completely regular." Natasha agreed, showing photographs from their observation mission. They sat in one of the S.H.I.E.L.D offices. Fury shook his head.

"But there must be a place from which the Harlovsens are monitoring the missions, where they are staying, where they are working."

"We could ask Katta," Natasha proposed, shrugging.

"Oh, yes. Hey Katta, we're trying to blow up your family. Where again do you store all your weapons and laboratories?" Clint said sarcastically, raising an eyebrow. Natasha shrugged her shoulder, apologetic.

"That leads us nowhere." Fury waved off before addressing Bruce. "There was something you wanted to report, Doctor?"

"Indeed." He cleared his throat, getting up. "Our systems receive a strong radiation that is definitely not from the earth nor anything human-built." He started the screen and showed a graph. "I'm not sure what this could be so far, but it is clear that we need to have an eye on it."

"I was warned in Asgard that something unexpected will come to earth," Thor said. All heads whipped in his direction.

"Thank you for warning us," Clint sarcastically said while Fury shook his head.

"And why, god of thunder, didn't you think about filling us in with the details any earlier."

"Because there are no details. That is everything I know so far." Thor shrugged, playing with the handle of his hammer.

〰〰〰

"And the power is off in three, two one." Magnus clicked the button, and the whole power network in that part of New York collapsed within seconds.

〰〰〰

Suddenly all the lights and the TV went off before the red emergency lighting took over. "What is happening?" Fury barked into the intercom system while the others stood up, glaring around, alarmed.

"I don't know, sir. It seems that the entire power network in the environment collapsed. Should we call the IT Expert?" an agent answered.

"I don't know. Do you think it would be a good idea to call somebody to fix that problem, or should we be waiting until the energy comes back by himself?" Fury shouted rhetorically.

"U-Understood, sir," the agent answered, frightened.

〰〰〰

The door slid open, and Fenris entered the building. So, this was S.H.I.E.L.D. Men and women in suits and dresses hurried through the corridor. He could look into a few of the offices through the glass walls. The agents were occasionally chatting, drinking coffee, sorting files.

"Mister Charleston?"

Fenris turned around. An agent was coming his way, a polite smile on his face.

"Y-Yes," Fenris nodded, slightly stammering. It was a part of his character.

"Agent Coulson," the man introduced himself before leading him towards the building's control units. Fenris followed him, taking in all the cameras he could discover.

"How come I never saw you here before?" Coulson asked while holding open the door for him.

Fenris pushed his horn-rimmed glasses a bit higher. "I cover for my colleague, that usually works here. He is currently in Texas."