10

c h a p t e r   1 0 :
r o o f

The roof.

Sophia had told me about this certain part of Greenpeace. She had described it as a spot, a place to get away from reality. She told me to go there whenever I felt down or stressed.

I closed the door behind me. My therapy session was over, I had spend a good two hours in there. But something in me cracked a long the way. Talking, explaining everything to my therapist from the beginning, was exhausting for me, mentally. She knew every detail, every small thing like no one else did. Somehow it terrified me even more now.

I rest my head agains the door for a moment, my eyes looking no where in particular. I inhaled and outhaled but the moment I closed my eyes even for a brief moment, I saw him.

The scene I always saw in front of me whenever I closed my eyes, River laying on the cold ground, rain pouring down, his lifeless body and his eyes dull with no light in them, the glow in them was long go just like his life.

I shook my head.

'promise me something'

I couldn't do this. I stormed through the empty hallway, making my way towards the elevator. I waited patiently while looking behind me to make sure no one saw me. I was about to break the rules, one of the most important one's of this school.

But right now, I couldn't care less.

I entered my room first, looking for the small key Sophia had gaven me. I quickly put it in my pocket and left the my bedroom.

I finally made my way onto the secret floor, the 13th floor. None of the patients had acces to this floor, there was a lock on it. A lock, with a key that only my dad owns. And my sister apparently.

Somehow, Sophia had that key and from the look of it our father didn't suspect a thing. I smiled a little to myself, she was a good sister. She tried to help me and all I did was push her away.

The elevator moved all the way up and came to stop not long after. I stepped out of it, the doors opening slowly. I felt the cold immediately but I wasn't outside yet. In front of me, there was huge metallic door. It was closed obviously. I quickly grab the key and twist the knob.

I immediately feel the cold breeze fresh on my skin. It's quiet and peaceful. No stares, no worries and no problems.

I walked closer to the end of the roof, looking at the beautiful view.

Greenpeace was surrouned by many many trees, only far in the end I saw sign of other buildings and homes.

Sophia was right. This was an escape from reality.

I closed my eyes again, just for a brief moment. Yet even this view couldn't stop my nightmares, nothing could stop what I saw every time I closed my eyes.

His face appeared again.

'promise me something', he says.

'anything.'

I shook my head. I didn't want to experience this again but this time it felt even more real. I opened my eyes, trying to focus onto the view, on anything really. But his voice echoed in my head still.