76 | Change It

Thank you @_an_tara_ for this poster. It makes me smile!

Chapter 76: Change It

The bell rang and the school doors burst open. I joined the swarm of students into the parking lot. The first day of spring semester left a buzz in the air.

I walked towards Luke's car out of instinct, until I remembered he was at practice. And someone else was meant to drive me...

"Looking for your chauffeur?" Austin called out behind me.

I turned around and saw him jog down the front steps of the school, one hand on the straps of his backpack. Like Luke, he didn't notice the looks people gave him when he passed by.

They looked at me too, wondering why Austin Taylor was offering to be my chauffeur. I'm living life like Chad.

"A guy of many talents," I replied, happy to be driven around by Austin.

"That's what they tell me," he winked, pulling his car keys out of his pocket, and leading the way.

I slid into the passenger seat of Austin's car and slipped my backpack on the floor between my legs. An empty energy drink was in the cup holder beside him and he dropped his phone into the other holder.

"This is fun," Austin said, rolling down the window for some fresh air.

It was freezing outside, but he didn't seem to mind. I put my jacket back on and he noticed.

"Should I not?" his finger stopped pressing the window button.

He retracted his finger and then pressed the other button. The window zoomed right back up.

**

We were so busy chatting that I didn't realize where we were going until I realized that it was nowhere near my home.

"Uh," I stared at the street signs, "Luke said you were going to drop me off..."

"Did he?" Austin asked, casually driving, "I didn't realize he sets the schedule."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. He sounded so surprised.

"Gloria makes amazing afternoon snacks," Austin explained as we drove onto his street, "She probably drops kush in them."

He grabbed my backpack for me and took both up the front lawn into his house. Sure enough, Gloria was laying the table with some fantastic looking treats.

"Gloria!" I exclaimed, not containing my excitement at seeing her.

She took better care of us than my own parents. Gloria gave me a very warm hug and took my jacket. I picked a seat directly in front of the banana bread.

"You look exhausted, Millie," Gloria noticed, as she placed a jug of water on the table, "Are you getting enough sleep?"

"Not really," I said, trying to play it off, "Junior year is so stressful."

"That's no good. Maybe Austin can give you some tips. He doesn't sleep either," she ruffled Austin's hair.

Austin took a seat in front of me and started to cut us slices of the bread. "I wish I had the answer. I don't even know what I do. Aside from medication, I exercise or visit Luke."

"Exercise?" I repeated.

Gloria returned with a bowl of fruit and a bowl of buttercream for the bread. She then took a seat next to me and handed me a vitamin C. 

I chewed on it while buttering the banana bread and ventured into Austin's personal life, "You know how I'm dating Luke?"

This was a weird way to start.