5. Self-Defense

"I honestly didn't know he was coming," Ginny rushed to explain after George had to physically detain Cosette from doing anything she'd regret. George had seen her reach for her wand and he reacted just in time by pulling out his own wand and apparating the two of them outside of the burrow. They landed in the field but the house was still in view and Ginny immediately ran outside to offer a hand.

Cosette was trying to storm back towards the burrow but George's grip on her was solid. One of his arms was wrapped around the front of her as her back was pressed up against his chest. His other hand grasped firmly onto her wrist to keep her from reaching for her wand again.

She was giving Ginny a stare that made her want to cower back inside but Ginny slowly approached her, holding a hand out to defend herself, "I swear, Setty. I didn't know. When I spoke to him last night he was in France I didn't think he would be here today."

Cosette struggled in George's arms as she looked over Ginny's shoulder to see Bill and Ron start to walk in their direction. She suddenly felt as though it was an intervention and that the Weasley's had planned this all along.

"Setty you need to relax," George spoke in her ear while she reached her other hand up to pull at his arm, but George wasn't budging. "I'm not letting you go until I know you're not going to hurt him."

"Hurt him?" She screamed, feeling her face grow hot. Cosette's breathing was unsteady and without thinking of the consequences, she slid her one free hand up to grip onto the hair on the back of George's neck and yank down on it hard. It caught him by surprise and he loosened his grip on her wrist enough for her to retract her arm and smash her elbow against face. She was trying to aim for his nose but when she managed to get out of his hold she saw that she had struck his cheekbone instead.

The second that she reached for her wand, the Weasley siblings formed a semi circle around her, blocking her from the Burrow.

"Expelliarmus!" Ron yelled as he pulled his own wand out. Cosette's went flying a few feet behind her but she knew that the second she tried to reach for it, someone would react and there would be more injuries.

"What the fuck, Cosette?" George raised his voice, holding a hand against his face.

"Sorry, did you think that charms were all that we taught at the studio?" She snapped at him. Fury was coursing through her veins and although it stemmed from the sight of Harry, it was all currently being directed at George.

"What are you going to do? Fight us?" George tilted his head, "It's four against one, Setty. You're not even armed."

"I don't want to fight you!" She screamed at him.

"Well you're not laying a damn finger on Harry either!" Ginny stepped forward bravely, holding her own wand closer to Cosette's face.

There was a part of Cosette that blamed Fred's death on herself. It was first assumed by Neville that Fred was trying to get to her but it was only confirmed afterwards by George that it was true. He left his post when he saw Cosette was having difficulty fighting off a Death Eater during the battle. On his way to her, someone hit him with a curse.

Cosette still had trouble coming to terms with the truth in what happened and while physically she had nothing to do with it nor could she have even prevented it, she couldn't help but wonder what the outcome would be if Fred had stayed at his post.

However, when she wasn't thinking of the 'what if's' or blaming herself, she blamed Harry Potter.

It was because of him that there was even a battle in the first place. It was because of him that countless people died. Innocent people. Although she was familiar with the events that led up to that night, Cosette believed that there were other steps that could have been taken. No one was prepared and lives were lost.