Chapter 13

So funny story, I literally just realized that Tommy Boy is a Newsie and that I named my character in the Refuge Tommy and I'm feeling a little stupid ahah. So sorry if there's confusion but they are two different people. Just a quick note, I skipped over the King of New York section because I had no clue how to write it in this story. Sorry for anyone who loves that scene (myself included). I might attempt to write it if I do a Race fanfiction. Also, I watched the Newsies yesterday with my dad (who hates Broadway) and he said he really liked it!!! So now I just have to win over my mom! Okay I'll shut up and let y'all continue. 

I stood with my ear pressed up against the door, waiting for Peter to get Snyder out of the room beside the one I was currently in.

It had taken a while before my muscles were loose enough to walk. All I knew was that I wouldn't be doing any running tonight. 

Crutchie and Peter had already taken care of the window, making sure I would be able to get through it without trouble, cutting down my escape time drastically. Tommy had been determined to help, so we gave him the task of keeping an eye out for Snyder and the Delanceys while I was escaping. That's when I heard the tapping.

Two knocks. One knock. Three knocks. 

I made my way over to the window as silently as I could. When reached it, I eased it open, wincing as it let out a low yawn. (Y'all know what I mean by that right?) I held my breath, listening for the retreat signal, but none came. 

I pushed the window open the rest of the way and heaved myself onto the sill with much effort. I gave myself a moment to catch my breath, my body still exhausted from the beating I had received from the Delanceys. 

I slipped my legs through the window and let myself drop, landing not so gracefully on the pavement below. And then I took off at a fast walk, my legs and head screaming at the effort.

My heart was racing and I couldn't help glancing behind me. The streets were silent and the buildings around the Refuge were dark and grim looking. A shudder ran through me and I forced myself to keep moving.

Long after my body hit utter exhaustion, I reached the porch of the Lodging House. I dragged myself up the steps and collapsed into a heap at the top. My head felt like there were a hundred tiny dwarves inside, driving hammers into my brain. The pain was almost unbearable and all I wanted to do was crawl into my bed, fall asleep, and never wake up.

That's when the shouting began.

"Caz?"

"What happened to her?"

"How'd she make it outta the Refuge?"

"Where's Crutchie?"

"Caz, are you alright?"

"Are you a bluthering idiot? 'Course she's not alright."

"She needs a doctor."

"Someone get Specs."

"Everyone shut up!" Jack bellowed, silencing the endless flow of noise. Had I been able to get up, I would have hugged him.

"Where's Race?" The boys glanced around. By now I had counted and there were five of them, Jack, Jojo, Elmer, Sniper, and Kid Blink. "Elmer, go get him and Albert."

I heard the door swing open and Elmer's footsteps soon grew softer and softer until they were gone completely.

"Jojo, go tell Specs to get his supplies ready." Jack knelt down at my side, brushing a piece of hair out of my face. "Caz, I need yous to tell me where it hurts so Is don't injure you worse." I gently gestured to my head and stomach. He gave a small nod before slipping his arms under me and lifting me from the ground.