14

This war seems to be never-ending.

Every time I begin to think that we've won the advantage, Thanos' army manages to whip something out against us to level the score. My heart drops into the pit of my stomach, though, when the ground begins to tremble around me.

I snap my gaze up just in time to see the something slamming underneath the surface of the earth. Within seconds, the ground explodes open and massive spiked wheels burst forth, plowing through the field and ripping apart anything and everything in their path.

"Fall back! Fall back!" T'Challa shouts, sprinting away from the metal wheels of death.

My wide eyes are caught on them, my heart slamming in my chest as I try not to think of every person being murdered by them. I shove aside the heavy feeling in my heart, but it stays as the massive contraptions continue to take down our army. In the depths of my gut in that feeling, something tells me that we're going to lose.

I shake off the thought and turn back to my fight, finding myself near to Natasha and Okoye. The three of us fend off creature after creature until a sickening mechanical whirring clicks in my ears and the ground near me rumbles. We all three look up just in time to see the razor sharp, towering wheels speeding towards us, leaving us no time to escape.

I crouch to the ground just as they do, hoping to the very depths of myself that a miracle pulls off. I barely have time to register that I am most likely about to die in one of the most gruesome ways I thought possible when the rumbling stops. I snap my gaze up and watch with wide eyes as the wheels are hovering the air, supported by the red tendrils I've come to know as Wanda's magic.

I whirl around and watch her toss the wheels down around us easily, smashing them into an oncoming hoard of creatures as if it were nothing. Okoye, Natasha, and I stand slowly, reeling in awe at the power of this girl. Okoye looks at the two of us incredulously.

"Why was she up there all this time?"

We barely have time to revel in the victory the Maximoff twin brought us when Sam's panicked voice sounds through the comms.

"Uh, guys? We have a Vision situation here!" He calls out, making my stomach drop. Wanda freezes, snapping her wide, concerned gaze to me.

"Someone get to Vision!" Steve shouts out through the comm.

"I got him!" Wanda responds, nodding to me and turning to run towards Vision when suddenly a sword whips across her faces and sends her smashing into the ground.

I gasp, looking over just as the blue-haired woman from the train station saunters over to a grounded Wanda. Her face is twisted into a grimace, her sword wielded firmly in her grasp. She uses her foot to force Wanda to her back.

"He'll die alone, as will you" she snarls.

"Nat!" I call out, motioning towards the situation as soon as the blonde looks over at me. She nods, the both of us sprinting over to help. As we do, Okoye finishes off the creature she's fighting and joins us. The three of us jump into the trench where Wanda lies, surrounding the blue-haired woman.

"She's not alone" Natasha announces, catching the woman's attention.

She growls again, something she must really love doing, before launching herself at Nat. The three of us spar for a few minutes, and I find that the woman is much more capable with her broadsword than we gave her credit for. She whips the blade across my cheek, sending me to the ground before kicking Natasha and pinning her sword the the Black Widow's throat. Before she can pierce through the skin, though, Wanda stumbles to her feet and encapsulates the woman in her red magic.