The Great Escape

Fields of grass rippled like waves in an ocean tide.

Foliage of trees danced with wind.

Soft, tender roses went from a deep scarlet to a subtle maroon.

The kingdom of Wisteria gradually befriended autumn.

From the little children running in primary school to the seniors of the kingdom, everyone had grasped the ever-looming winter that was soon to be a reality.

For George, this meant papers upon papers.

The work each day was always more significant than the last.

Signatures,

Approvals,

The everlasting work suddenly felt like the weight of the world.

From the days of being locked in his room like a princess from a fairytale to ruling a nation, it was apparent, being a king was grim.

George needed a retreat from his reality.

The tired castle George resided in protected him from so much for so long.

Now, he wanted nothing more than an escape route.

His room returned to the state of scattered documents, melting candle wax cemented on the floor, and drawn curtains.

George felt familiar feelings being awoken.

A once great stature, crushed by a few papers?

Unmotivated.

Fatigued.

Burdened.

George was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he could feel this weight taking a severe toll on him.

George could never journey without an entourage trailing on his heels. This was due to his father's direct orders; the king could never be without a servant at his side; for 'safety reasons.'

Finding a way to enjoy himself would prove to be a mighty challenge.

George resided in his room when a theory ran through his mind.

"An escape route, perhaps? Through the outskirts of the kitchen?"

The perfect plan. George would softly slip out of his room and into the corridor. From there, George would make his way to the kitchen, the only location where a back exit inhabited. With this plan, George could secretly exit the castle.

The large door of his room, which he once faced with despair and fear in his heart, was now before him, ready to begin another challenge for George.

As quiet as a mouse, George creaked open the knob of the exit, careful not to stir up any attention to his room.

Delightedly, George made it safely into the hallway without drawing the attention of the nearby servants.

Creeping through the halls was a task any nonentity could complete. His leisurely days of sneaking around the palace proved to be useful to George.

A meek wooden door stood at the end of the grand hall George slithered down. This door would begin George's descent to the kitchen, or what George perceived it as, the Underworld.

The kitchen could often be found bustling with servants. It would be challenging not to notice the king of Wisteria sneaking out the back door like an angsty teen.

Breaching the door, George found himself marveling at a steep, creaky, wooden staircase. The stairs were dark, with the occasional candle to keep anyone from tumbling down the spiral stairs.