Chapter 20

I was still sitting in my camping chair, stunned, when Alex came back, with two hot dogs for me.

All I could think about was what the hell is wrong with Blake? Because there had to be something wrong, right? Why the hell would he have such sad eyes for no reason?

Maybe he was just trying to make me feel bad. Yeah made a lot more sense than him actually being sad about anything. He had the popular golden boy life.

"There you go Kitty," Alex said, handing the food to me, snapping me out of my thinking.

I thanked him absentmindedly, still trying to figure out why the hell would Blake act like that.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked me, sitting back in his chair.

"Huh?"

"You have something on your mind."

"Yeah, well, I think I might have said something wrong. Does Blake get offended easily?" I asked frowning.

"What do you mean?" he asked, before taking a big bite from his hamburger.

"I don't know. I think I said something mean and now Blake's mad at me," I trailed, staring at my food.

"And that's a problem because?"

"I don't like having people mad at me, you know that," I whined and took a bite of my hot dog. Having someone mad at me made me anxious.

"You've kind of been looking for it, you know. Half of the time you speak with him, you insult him. That was bound to bite you back at some point," Alex chuckled.

"Hey!" I squealed, mouth full. I finished chewing and then talked. "It's not like he's a gentlemen either. He turns everything into sexual innuendos and he's always using freaking pick up lines," I defended myself. How was I supposed to act around him? Bow and say yes sir that crude comment you just said is a legitimate way to start a conversation?

"Yeah, but he's not telling you you're an ass every two seconds," Alex replied, clearly defending Blake.

"Whose side are you on, young man?" I exclaimed, turning to look at him fully.

"Fine, be like that," Alex laughed, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

"I hate you," I mumbled and laid back in my chair

"No, you love me because you know I'm right," Alex said with a half smile.

"No, no, I'm pretty sure I hate you," I pouted.

Alex just laughed and ruffled my hair, but I slapped his hand away.

"Aw, don't get mad at me Kitty. I still love you even though you're a meanie. That should count for something," he chuckled.

I raised my head, looking at the still blue sky, breathing in and out slowly.

The truth was, I wasn't mad at Alex. I was more like mad with myself. What the hell had I done wrong again?

I ate the rest of my food in silence, listening to everyone conversation around me, but not really listening at the same time.

When I was finished, I looked around, trying to find Blake, so I could go see him to understand what the hell was wrong with him I guess, or at least try to apologize.

"Do you know where Blake went?" I asked Alex, interrupting his conversation with Connor about how hot their asses looked in their spandex football pants.

"Sorry Kitty, I don't."

"I think I saw him walk to the deck a little while ago," Connor told me.