Chapter 17: Control

"What are you doing here, girl?"

"Me?" Adaline asked. The conversation seemed to be only between the Darkling and Baghra. "I don't know myself."

"Then what do you know?"

She knew very quickly that Baghra wasn't going to make her cookies or help her when she got sick. She wondered how old the woman actually was. When she saw her, she could see a sort of resemblance between her and the Darkling but the thought seemed extremely stupid and she pushed it away. "I know that you won't help me. None of you can."

"Then what are you doing here? Unless you are the lovely Prince's girl."

The Darkling stiffened at that, and so did Adaline. "I'm not anyone's subject," she replied.

Baghra raised her eyebrows at that. "Then why are you living here? Why don't you just leave?"

Adaline turned to the Darkling but saw that he was letting her take the reigns. He was curious to see how she dealt with the situation. "That's my business," she replied while playing with the creases forming on the shawl.

Baghra smiled. "I like her."

"I knew you would," he replied.

Adaline looked between them and groaned softly. "He thinks that you can help me figure out what exactly I am. But I have told him that he should just let me go."

The old woman pulled the sleeves of her kefta and was heading towards Adaline when the Darkling stopped her. "You don't want to do that."

"Why?" She asked but the look on his face said it all

"Why?" She asked but the look on his face said it all. "Oh," she said, looking at Adaline. "You are touch-sensitive then. I see." She held her cane more firmly. "Since when?"

Adaline stood speechless. The fact that she was touch-sensitive didn't seem to surprise Baghra. She even used the right terminology for it. Usually people wondered why she was so and asked her questions, but that was the first time someone had asked her how long it was so. "Since I was ten-years old."

"And what are your powers?" Adaline shrugged. What was she supposed to reply to that? "Put your hand out." She told the Darkling, who obeyed without any questions. The cane that she held promised a good smack on the head. "Hold her hand."

"Baghra-"

"Do it! I'm trying to see something, and unless you want to send her away, you do as I say."

Adaline wondered who was really in-charge. "Don't order me around, woman," said the Darkling. "I will take away the heat from here and you know it as well." He sighed and put his hand out once again. "Adaline," he spoke, getting her to look at him.

"I...."

"Do it, girl." Baghra lifted her cane lightly, making Adaline put out her hand as well.

The Darkling had a firm grip on it but the minute they touched each other, a bright white light filled the room that blinded everyone, including Adaline. The sound of thunder was unmistakable and it was right over the hut. The room grew tense as a sudden heat spread through both the Darkling and Adaline.

"Let me go...." Adaline whispered but the Darkling was amazed by whatever was happening.

There was a sudden blast that seemed to originate from their hands that had them flying to opposite sides of the room. The Darkling hit a bookshelf, which broke down due to the impact. It didn't seem to hurt him much as he stood up very easily while holding his ribs. It definitely caused a bruise but it was nothing that he couldn't take. He had been through worse.

Adaline coughed through the dust as she tried to get up

Adaline coughed through the dust as she tried to get up. She used the bed as a support and stood up by the Darkling's help. "What was that, girl?" Baghra scolded.

"That's enough," spoke the Darkling. 

Adaline was still coughing. What was happening to her? She gasped for breath and held the Darkling's arm for support. She didn't want to fall again. He was surprised at her leaning onto him for support, but didn't pull back.

"Maybe I can help her after all," she said. "Now leave. Both of you. You've made a mess of this place."

"What happened?" Adaline croaked.

"Go to sleep. You've caused enough ruckus for one night."

"I need to speak with you." The Darkling told Baghra, who scoffed. "Head back to the castle and get some rest," he whispered to Adaline.

"Thank you." She never thought that she would be in a situation where she would be thanking the Shadow Summoner, let alone be standing hand in hand with him. "Goodnight."

Adaline walked back to the palace; although stumbled would be the right word. Her energy had been drained out by the power blast that took place inside the hut. Entering the main hall, she was met by an excited Irina. "There is going to be a ball!"

"What?" Adaline was too focused on not tripping that she didn't hear what Irina said.

"We're going to have a ball, silly! I'm so excited for it!"

"Please tell me that Maxwell asked you. He better have because I will do it instead."

Irina hugged Adaline for less than a second. "Thank you so much!"

"Is that a 'yes'?"

Irina nodded. She had the biggest smile on her face. Irina and Maxwell had always admired each other from afar. Adaline had noticed the secret glances that they gave the other and talked to Carolyn and Freya about it. They told her the same thing that she had been witnessing.

Right then, she saw Stefan making his way towards her from the end of the hall. His face was healing from her punch but her hand was still bruised. She did not want to talk to him and even though she couldn't ignore him, she just had to get out of there. "I'll see you tomorrow?" She asked Irina. "I've had dinner and I'm not feeling so well. Black spots."

"Oh, of course," replied Irina. "Get some rest and drink water."

"Thank you." She smiled politely before hurrying up the staircase.

She reached the top stair when she glanced back down and saw Stefan talking to Irina in a hurried manner. Adaline scoffed. It shouldn't matter to her. It was none of her business. But why was she concerned about apologising to him?

"It's the secrecy talking, Adaline." She told herself.