Chapter 4

"By the Angel Izzy! Can't you knock?!" Alec swore as she barged into their room, the door hitting the wall and starling the couple awake before they saw who it was.

Isabelle ignored her brother as she said, "Serena, we need intel on Magnus Bane."

"There's a Clave database for a reason, Izzy," Serena mumbled as she curled into Alec who held her tight.

"Not for this kind of intel. Clary thinks he's the one who took her memories. She wants to see him."

Serena groaned as she rolled out of Alec's embrace, hand on her forehead. "All the warlocks have gone underground. By the Angel, she's gonna get us killed."

"And that's why we need you to make sure that doesn't happen," Isabelle smirked as Serena's blue eyes stared at the ceiling.

"Get everyone to ops, we'll be there in 10."

"Never a dull moment," Alec said, voice still soaked in sleep as he leaned on his elbows.

"Tell me about it," she said pecking his lips before getting out of the bed. "But at least we get to see Magnus."

And she disappeared into their bathroom.

******************************************************************

"Magnus Bane. High Warlock of Brooklyn and personal friend of mine and Alec's," Serena introduced as Hodge slid photos of Magnus through the centuries across the screen.

 Alec in a chair next to Serena who sat on the table, while Clary and Izzy were perched on either end of it, Jace standing behind them.

"He's over 300 years old. And as you can see, he's not exactly shied away from the pleasures of every century," Hodge continued. "His tastes are both exquisite and excessive."

"He's like the Downworlds' David Guetta," Clary commented.

"Guetta's already a Downworlder," Serena said, having met him a few times by request of the Clave.

Clary raised her eyebrows.

"Vampire. Ever seen him in the daylight?" Isabelle finished with a smirk.

"Can you two focus? This is not a joke," Alec spoke up, irked by his sister's antics and just generally annoyed with Clary.

"Someone needs to get slayed," Izzy grinned as she turned to her sister-in-law who only smirked in response before she said, "Been there, done that."

Alec glared at her as she jerked her eyebrows at him, before he simply took her hand and pressed it to his lips.

"Alec's right," Hodge said. "Magnus is one of the most powerful warlocks I've ever known. And he has a deep mistrust of Shadowhunters."

"Except for Serena and Alec," Jace voiced.

"Well, then why would he help my mom remove my memories? Isn't she a Shadowhunter?" Clary asked.

"One of the best," Hodge replied.

"But warlocks don't work that way. Likely your mother paid Magnus handsomely for his services," Serena clarified.

"Warlocks usually require payment before they help anyone with anything," Jace said as he took a seat.

"And word from the Clave is that most of the warlocks have gone into hiding since Valentine's been hunting them," Izzy reported and Alec kissed Serena's hand once more.

"Valentine must be searching for the warlock that Jocelyn -"

Hodge was cut off as the cursed circle rune on his neck began to burn.

"Hodge!" Serena said as she jumped to her feet to help steady him.

"Hodge! Your rune! Are you ok?" Clary asked, not bothering to move.

The older man nodded as Serena let go of him.

"So how do we find Magnus?" Clary asked.

"Won't he come to you?" Jace asked his sister who began to pace.

"Magnus takes the care of his warlock subjects very seriously. He won't put them in danger unnecessarily, but he might agree to meet with me. If we have something he can't resist, in a secluded, protected place, he'll come," Serena explained.

"And I know exactly where we do it," Isabelle smiled as she stood, swiping Hodge's tablet before making a ticket for a Downworlder rave appear on the screen.

"A Downworld rave. Nice Izzy," Jace complimented.

"And where did you get that?" Alec questioned his little sister.

"During my surveillance of the Downworlders."

"Are you sure it wasn't floating around Meliorn's chambers?" Serena teased as Alec pulled her onto his lap and Izzy gave her sister a sly look.

"Magnus will come. He'll hide in plain sight. Someone like Magnus would never miss the biggest part of the year," Izzy persisted.

"It might not be enough though," Serena pointed out and Hodge smirked.

"Come with me," he said as he led the group into the training room, running his stele over one of the runes on the floor. Pulling the tile from its place, Hodge picked up a silver necklace, holding a massive ruby.

"Is that real?" Izzy asked.

"A four-karat, unheated, Burmese ruby. And this necklace has special meaning to Magnus Bane. It was -"

"A gift to his then-lover, Camille. Magnus told me about that ruby. I can't believe it was here all this time," Serena finished as her hand laced with Alec's.

"Camille and Magnus were lovers?" Clary questioned, surprised.

"Warlock gets around," Jace smirked.

"Magnus bought it in 1857, for the price of his London townhouse. The jewel is enchanted by a spell that alerts the wearer to the presence of demons," Alec informed.

"It's so beautiful," Izzy said in awe as she held the jewel in her hand, Hodge still holding the chain.

"Magnus has longed to reunite with this necklace. Offer it to him. Then he'll come for sure," Hodge suggested.

"I'll send Magnus a fire message and arrange the meeting," Serena said as she pulled away from Alec who said gravely, "We have to get to Magnus before Valentine does."