25. New Plans

"Why don't you see your friends to the gate, Sean?" Mr. Windsor suggested as Ariana, Nate and Alexa prepared to leave.

"You don't have to tell me, dad. I was going to do that anyway." Sean rolled his eyes.

"Is it him only or you kids talk to your parents like this too?" Mr. Windsor joked.

"Not at all, sir." Alexa laughed. She scrunched her nose when she heard Sean scoff. "As if."

Meanwhile, Duke Lorenzo stared at Ariana. He remembered listening to Luna Barbara and Alpha Edward during their recent visit. He had caught on their conversation without meaning to.

"Take these pills, Barbara." Alpha Edward tried to give the medicine in his hand to his wife, who was seated and appeared exhausted. However, she refused.

"Come on. Healer Windsor said that you must take these pills in order to increase your blood pressure. Take these pills. At least for your daughter. We're here to celebrate her one year marriage anniversary. As her mother and a Luna, you should look radiant and healthy." Alpha's face was filled with concern for his mate.

"Don't you see, Edward? This whole marriage is a sham!" Luna Barbara cried. "Have you seen the way His Majesty looks at Persephone? There's no emotion in his eyes at all."

"He's a King, Barbara. Not a love-sick boy."

Luna scoffed. "I know the way you look at me despite being a powerful Alpha. I have seen the way King Victor used to look at Queen Xianna and the way Duke Lorenzo looks at Duchess Lily. No werewolf can resist the bond of mates. You refusing to acknowledge the fact won't change it Edward."

Alpha Edward remained silent.

"You know, this all makes me wonder if they were telling the truth all along." Luna Barbara whispered in fear.

After a long silence, Alpha Edward gulped before speaking. "How- how is she?" He stuttered.

Luna Barbara took out her phone and showed it to Alpha Edward. It was a picture of Ariana, standing with some people with a glass of wine in her hand.

"Bella took it secretly and sent to me. It was her birthday party." Luna retracted the device and looked at the screen with adoration and longing. "My baby..."

"She looks so thin! And is this the type of dress Isabelle is allowing her to wear? She even has a glass of alcohol in her hand. Are they even taking care of her?" raged Alpha Edward, although his eyes were misty.

"She shifted..." Luna informed. She had started to sob already. "Bella said that she found her unconscious on the road all alone in dark. And when they brought her back, she was writhing in agony before shifting again. She heard Saoirse howl painfully all night, calling for us..." She couldn't continue to speak as she couldn't hold back her cries anymore.

There were tears streaming down Alpha Edward's face as well.

"Lorenzo. A word?" Mr. Windsor called.

Duke Lorenzo was pulled back from his memory. He looked around to see everyone gone. Everyone except him and his friend. "After you."

Mr. Windsor and the Duke entered a room attached to the living room.

**~~~**

Alexa was seated at back while Nate drove in silent, glancing at Ariana, who was beside him, time and again. Ariana looked out of the window, letting the air ruffle her hair.

She remembered returning from Mr. Windsor's office after the Duke made the proposal to her and Nate. She was furious at him. Here she was, trying to rebuild her life while people from her past decided to come and try to destroy it once again.

Nate had followed her to her dorm room. To her surprise, he didn't look angry but defeated. She felt a pang of sadness in her heart.

"Are we a game to them?" He asked.

Ariana looked even mad than before. "All I know is I won't let them hurt us anymore."

"Oh really, short stack? What can you do? What can I do?" chuckled Nate sadly.

Ariana turned to him with determination. "You're the future Alpha of Pack Ziram. Surely you could use your influence."

Nate scoffed. "I've already passed down my title to my sister, Ariana."

He leaned against the wall while Ariana paced back and forth with her head low and hands on back in silence. After a while, she stopped and lifted her head up. "What if..." She started.

"What?" Nate gave her his attention.

"What if we prove to them that we are incapable of this job?"

Nate's pondered for a while before his eyes lit up in realization.

Ariana closed the car window and looked at Nate. Their eyes met. She then remembered their conversation with the Duke at Sean's house.

"Your Highness." She greeted.

"My lady, My Lord." Duke greeted back as they sat down.

"You must know that you would be saving thousands of lives and getting blessings from the Moon Goddess herself if you accept this job." He started.

"I've already got the highest blessing from the Moon Goddess that our kind can ever get. But it was the worst thing ever. So, I don't wish to get more blessings from her, Your Highness." Ariana smiled.

As the Duke listened, he never felt more pity for Xavier than now. He was about to say something when Ariana cut him off.

"However, we accept your proposal."

The Duke gasped in shock. This wasn't the response he thought he would get. He felt hopeful now. He looked at Nate who nodded his head in approval.

"My lady and lord, you are very kind."

Ariana listened as Duke Lorenzo explained about the dynamic. They would be taking separate classes to learn about werewolf anatomy while continuing their earlier studies, however in a pace faster than before. First year had already gone by. They would be finishing their course by the end of third year only.

This was something Ariana was happy about. She would be getting her degree faster and could join any hospital as Sylvester Windsor would make sure that their degree is validated everywhere. Yes, that was her plan. They would join the werewolf anatomy classes but fail every one of them on purpose making it impossible for them to be healers. However, making them doctors.

"Wake me up when we reach." said Ariana, as she too decided to take a nap like Alexa.

**~~~**

The Duke was about to walk inside the room when his phone rang. He took it out to see name on the screen. "Excuse me."

"It's fine. Take the call." Mr. Windsor waved his hand as he entered the room and started making a drink while the Duke walked away for some privacy.

"Is it done?" He asked to the other side on phone.

"Okay. Okay." He nodded before pressing the end button. He then dialed another number. After a few rings, person on the other side picked up.

The Duke smiled. "It's done. Your marriage to Persephone has been annulled."