Chap 28 -Reduge

"Within you there is a stillness and sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself."

-Hermann Hesse

-

Trevor's POV

Alana's sobs were slowly coming to a stop.

I could only silently hold her in my arms, unable to say anything to comfort her.

For the first time in my life, I felt lost.

I had no idea what to do to help her, making me feel like the most useless person on earth.

She just clung onto my tightly, between random intervals she would apologise to me with no context. All I did was to mutter "You have nothing to be sorry about Snowflake" and "It will be okay".

I knew she was hiding something from me.

I wish I knew...

It was probably something she was not comfortable telling me. It must also be something that affected her a lot. I knew she would breakdown occasionally but when we went out for business she would never.

Finally Alana's cries stopped.

She just lay her head on my chest, breathing in and out deeply, trying hard to regain her composure.

I stroked her back up and down following her breaths, hoping it would help her somehow.

"Snowflake? Let's go home okay?" I cautiously raised this question as soon as I heard her breathing become more stable.

Alana just nodded her head and slowly pulled away from my embrace. A look of regret flashed acorss her eyes and I felt angry.

I would never want someone to regret breaking down because they couldn't hold it in any longer.

Instead of saying something, I took her hand and held it tightly and walked with her all the way to the car.

Through the ballroom there were some stares at Alana's red and puffy face but I pulled her along firmly but gently enough.

Those busybodies are no ones anyway.

-

As soon as we got into the car, Alana sat on the far side, opposite of me.

She seemed somewhat ashamed and I definitely wanted to be the one to ensure that she knows breaking down is okay.

I shifted until I was right beside her and took her hand and enveloped it with both of mine. I carefully tilted her head and let it rest on my shoulder.

From the driver's mirror, I could see her shut her eyes and I felt her whole body just relax, seeking comfort in me.

My heat opened right up to her and I was glad that I was of some help to her.

I just wished that whatever was affecting her so much would be resolved soon...

Not long later, we reached home. Alana had fallen asleep on my shoulder so I resorted to carrying her into the house, instead of waking her.

As I put her on her bed in her room, her arm shot up and held mine tightly.

"Stay..." Alana's eyes opened slightly and she continued, "Please..."

I couldn't say no to her seeing how desperate she craved company and not to be alone.

I lay right next to her and for once she initiated contact.