Chapter 61

"Well, well, look who has showed up at my doorstep." Annabeth said as I knocked on her door. Her interruptive behavior never allowed me to talk with her properly but now I wanted to, after seeing Luciano and Fiona together.

"I want to know more about the magic you were talking about the other night?" I made my way into the room without her approval and said. It was a different kind of magic, stronger than Gretel's, only for those who practiced it.

They were different kinds of magic, dark magic, light magic and blood magic. The most popular one was known as dark magic, the one every witch in the entire world practiced, including me. Light magic was done by using the energy of light—the sun and dark magic was done by using the energy of darkness—the moon.

Instead of saying something wrong or cruel, Annabeth asked, "Death magic? Who do you want to kill?" She walked past me with a grimace settled over tight lips. I was willing to do anything to protect my family.

"Gretel." I replied sharply. "I want her throne, and I want her dead." I chewed my fingernails, shivering from within as her name crossed my lips in the dark.

Anna's room was close by mine, on certain nights, she fell asleep with Ben and on other nights, she was in her room, practicing magic even though it was forbidden here. But, it was Anna and she could do anything she wanted to do while on her stay here.

"Why do you want to kill her?"

"Who doesn't want too?" I stormed towards her, anger throbbing in my veins. "She ruined my life. I want everything she has, a throne, the witches, her coven, everything. Her death will ensure the safety of my family." I said through my clenched jaw. I was ready to break rules to protect Fiona, even if it meant killing Gretel.

Jacqueline had already weakened her and I had stolen her talisman, giving us a better opportunity in taking the wicked Queen down to the ground—where she belonged.

Anna's hand flickered over my nose and she tapped hard, torturing me. "No. You just want to make sure that you daughter doesn't becomes the next target of Gretel's or any other Queen that comes after her, right?"

"Yes." Death was unknown, it could come by anytime and take me. At least I would be in peace knowing that there wasn't someone forcing my daughter to fulfill the prophecy as she was going to become the next chosen one.

"Fine. I'll teach you the Death magic but let me warn you, it will destroy you mentally and physically, it's not something you can play around with." Anna finally agreed without throwing anymore comments.

"I don't care. Once Gretel is dead and the throne is mine, I don't have anything else to worry about." I fought hard to keep my courageous voice and it was working but I didn't know how long it was going to be before I broke apart.

"Fine, sister, calm down." Annabeth plopped on her bed, her hands on her side. Her eyes ran across the room and she lightened up the candles with nothing except for her mind. "Death magic is used for bringing people to their deaths and ensuring they won't ever return." She broke silence and said.

"Exactly what I want."

With a shaky voice, she asked. "You have triggered your wolf, right?"

My brows strained at my head. "Yes." Where did the wolf come from? Weren't we just talking about Death Magic?

"Instead of the King, Gretel's going to come for you then." She stated, low and speedy.

"What?!" My eyes widened with surprise.

She stood up from the bed and waved her hand over the candle, burning herself. "You both either have equal or greater powers. Gretel will come for you or the King. If you die, so does your husband and if he dies, so do you. You both are connected through the mate bond." Annabeth whipped around and faced me, the worry suddenly draining off her face. "It's the sole reason why I'll never allow Ben to mark me."

My heartbeat stopped for a split second and then raced at a curious pace. "I don't understand. How can we both die? She can't do that."

"She can. Kill two birds with one stone. Ever heard that?" Her hand came down my shoulder. "Don't worry, if you die and so does the King, I'll take care of Fiona, she's like my own child."

"No, no." A few tears escaped my eyes, dropping down my cheeks and my body trembled. "It's not going to happen. You're going to teach me Death magic and I'll kill her before she can kill me or Luciano."

"As you say so."

After hours to practicing the forbidden magic, I finally returned to my room, exhausted and torn. My mind ached and my body swelled. Dark, uneven light spots appeared in my vision as I stumbled on the bed, breathing heavily as if I had just lost my senses.

I curled myself at the corner and looked down at Fiona who was sleeping on my bed for the first time. Luciano was right beside her, his hand underneath his head and his beautiful eyes shut closed. They both were close, almost hugging one and another.

I kept my distance as I was packed with magic and wasn't in my right senses.

Even when I was so close to them, I felt so far, as if I hadn't achieved anything. I got my husband and my daughter yet every second of my life I felt like I was going to lose them both to Gretel.

It could happen any moment.

Any second.

Read the full book on patreon quicker www.patreon.com/miakerr