Chapter 63

Red

"I hope you do know that we can't make love till our wedding." Luciano said, coming behind me, his arms snaking around my waist as I chained up the few lockets to my neck.

"What?!" I exclaimed, out of surprise.

"It is what it is, princess." He repeated, his lips slowly creeping up to my neck.

I released a breath, groaning a little. This was going to be a long few months as we still hadn't decided the date. I preferred if it was somewhere around the end of winter—in January, when we got married first. It would mark our one-year anniversary.

I placed my hand over his large one, feeling the love dive into my body. It made me calm having Luciano beside me at all times. His presence, the aura he gave, everything was just so perfect for me that I never ever wanted to separate myself from him again.

A thought ran through my head and before anything, I asked, "When do you think I'll get my rank back?" I turned around, looking at his face that changed up quickly. "A king needs to have his queen." My mouth turned into a grin as I fluttered my lashes.

"When you've proved yourself to me."

"And how do I do that?" I tried, nothing was working out. I hadn't killed any of his wolves or mistreated anyone in weeks.

"Patience. There is no hurry, your throne will remain empty until you've done something deserving it. Nobody else is going to get it, don't worry." His eyes scanned mine as he said with a sigh before he traced a line down my cheek. "I promise."

"I know that. You won't get anyone better than me." I said, proudly and with admiration.

"I don't want anyone else." His muscular chest pressed against mine as he leaned in close and gave me a soft kiss over my forehead before parting away. "Let's go?"

"Yeah."

I woke up with a surprise today and I'm glad I did. After all these stressful days, I finally felt better, in peace at last. While I intended on doing Death magic, I also wanted to tell Luciano the truth, and the reason why I wanted to learn it. Keeping secrets never resulted into good between us. I was just looking for the right time to spill out that Annabeth was teaching me Death magic.

When we reached downstairs to have breakfast with the rest of the family, I sensed something wrong. Breathing deep, I took the strange scent in, it was unusual and stressing. I turned my head around, trying hard to hear the whispers between Ben and Luciano.

Annabeth came behind, she nudged her hand and said. "Don't go outside."

"Why?"

"The sky is red; hope you know what that means." She continued. Uncertainty flashed her bright features as she gazed at me with terror.

I stormed over to the windows inside the large room and peeled aside the curtains to find out that the sky was red, and the moon was between our earth and the sun, freezing everything for a moment.

The eclipse.

The ring of fire shone, brighter than any flame. My lips parted and a gasp escaped my mouth as I felt the energy of the event dive into my body, the eclipse's strength—the nature bestowing their powers upon me as the chosen one. Making me stronger than anyone on this certain day, even stronger than the King as I was commanded to complete the prophecy.

I closed the curtain and stood by the wall, breathing heavily, my lungs aching and my heart itching as Gretel's words repeated in my mind, over and over again. I was able to manage my powers—my strength as I had my talisman but someone wasn't.

Gretel.

She was going to come.

I believed the eclipse was still days away but with everything happening around me, I didn't give much attention to the date.

I paid attention to my throbbing veins, pumping hard under my flesh as my body drew in the energy from the eclipse. I couldn't stop it, it forced itself inside me, urging me to fulfill the words written by someone who wanted the werewolf world gone.

"Can't help, can you?" Annabeth said, her eyes fixated over my wrists.

I covered my arms up quickly, before anyone else saw it. "I'm fine. In control,"

I was going to be in control. There was no reason to spin away and kill everyone—like I had done always. There was nothing to be worried about, not from my side.

My face turned cold and pale as the truth struck me hard. "Gretel's going to come."

"She's already here." Luciano reached for me and said. "Her witches are at the border, demanding entrance, and she's on the way. The wolves can hold her tiny witches off for a while but I'll have to go."

"No." I grabbed his arm, digging my nails. "You can't." My teeth clenched and my jaw tightened.

He lifted an eyebrow. "It's fine." He looped an arm around my waist and said, carelessly, as if it meant nothing.

"You can't. Gretel's magic is dark, she will kill you—"

"She's weak." He interrupted me, reminding me of his mother who had weakened her. Jaqueline had her talisman and without it, Gretel was much more out of her mind. She could do anything, even when she was weak.

"No, no, Luciano, you can't go. Please. We can stay here, we will be fine." I begged, crying and holding his hand close to my chest. "Please." All I saw in the future was blood and blood, although, I couldn't see whom the blood belonged too.

"Red—" His expression softened. "It will be fine. If I don't go there, she'll come in the town and kill everyone. I'd rather prefer that we talk than deaths of innocent people—my people." He explained, sifting his hand through my hair and holding me near him.

"She won't talk," I murmured, narrowing my eyes and looking at the ground.

"She will. And, if she doesn't then I know what to do." He stepped back, his hands slipping off my body. "Go take care of Fiona and I'll be back before night. Don't worry too much."

There wasn't another word Luciano uttered. He simply motioned Ben and they both walked out of the room, hurried, ready to leave the castle. My breath seized at my throat as it tightened, I wanted to stop him, I wanted to say something but I couldn't.

"Valarie." I scurried away from everyone and ran through the hallways, whispering her name in the light. "Valarie." I repeated again, peeking in every room, trying to find her and my daughter.

I pushed open the door of the room we had given to Fiona and found her there, sitting beside my daughter, playing and giggling.

"Ms. Red, is everything all right?" she asked, worried.

"Yes," I got on my knee quick and took her hand. "I need you to promise me something. Whatever you happens, take care of Fiona, keep her in this room until I return, don't let anyone near her, don't let her out and don't leave this room, please." Tears slipped down my cheeks as I tried to explain everything.

"Bu—"

"Valarie, please, don't leave this room, in any cost." I got off the ground and went over to the windows, they were locked and the keys were with me, only me. "The windows are locked, you have the keys to the door, keep it locked, okay?"

My hands trembled and my body quivered as I curled my arms around Fiona. She hit her soft toy at my head, unable to understand anything while I held her tight, hugging her for as long as I could.

Maybe for the last time.

"I promise I will keep her safe." Valarie said, nodding. "I won't let anyone near and I won't leave the room." She rephrased my words.

Read the full book on patreon quicker www.patreon.com/miakerr