Confusing

After Foster had left the room the school day went on as usual, skipping practically every class, pranking Mr. Forkle, learning how to lose Ro in the hallways of Foxfire. He'd only just gotten home and sat in his room, contemplating new ways to dye Iggy. All these crazy things and yet despite everything... he couldn't get Sophie off his mind.

Because she...

She loves you.

Kye's words hit him like a light night bolt in his heart.

She hadn't said anything after that. Hadn't even explained what she meant, how she knew... if it was even true.

In fact after Kye had left he'd convinced himself that his sister was just playing matchmaker, just hoping that she... that Sophie...

"I can't tell you."

That's what Foster had said. That she couldn't tell him something. But that meant there was a bit to tell. And as soon as Keefe had heard that his hopes had come crashing back, because he'd only just given up. But then Foster looked at him, with her shattered gaze. As if he was a comfort, as if his very presence could help her. And so he allowed himself some belief. And that second he'd tried to help her. He saw how hard this was for her. So he'd offered to try to figure it out. Too help Foster let it all out when everything was bubbling up in her mind.

Unless of course... I'm not supposed to?

He'd said that. Because he had to let Foster decide if she was ready, if this was for her. If it was the time for them to finally figure things out. Because he'd never let himself push her. He didn't want to make the same mistakes Fitz had. If there was any chance, any ways that him and Foster would end up together... he had to find it. So he would let her choose their pace, fast, slow, or even none at all. Because if this was supposed to happen, Foster would be the one to decide. And all she had to do was answer his one simple question

I don't know.

The fearful look he'd seen in her eyes... the perplexed emotions coming from her. Foster clearly had something on her mind, something that he had yet to figure out.

So he'd decided to give her some space. Some time to figure out everything. All on her own.

So he'd let go of her hand, walked forward. Only too be stopped by Foster's sweet desperate voice.

Stay. Please.

The heartbroken look on her face when she said that was enough to cause his heart to crack, because he wanted her to smile. And he was still confused because Foster had ran too him, leaned close, and held on like she was scared to let go.
And he'd done the only thing he could, hold onto her like she was his lifeline.

So why did it all have to be so complicated?

Even hours after that moment he was still analyzing, repeating, searching for some sort of clue as to why Foster was so heartbroken.

He couldn't understand what was wrong, because her emotions had been so full of affection, of comfort in his arms. And if what she was feeling had been so real than why couldn't she just say it. And that's why he couldn't seem to let himself believe Foster felt the same way he did. Because if she did what was in the way of it? What was there to stop her? Closing his eyes for a minute he focused on Fosters eyes. Brown, calming, unique, the ones that never seemed to leave his mind. Slowly he opened his eyes which seemed to settle on the stuffed moonlark sitting on his bedside table.

The moonlark is because of Foster right?

Once again his little sisters words came up in his mind, adding to the every growing mystery in his racing mind.

He still couldn't seem to figure out when he got that moonlark. He remembered seeing it at Elwin's house, hearing Ro's annoying joke. But... he never saw it after that.

So how had it found it's way there?

It's as if he'd simply forgotten. But that wasn't possible. He had a photographic memory.

But that meant the only way he could've lost his memory's was if...

No.

It couldn't be.

She wouldn't...

Would she?

His heart beated fast in his chest as he realized the one thing that made everything else make sense.

It had to be her.

Because unless his mom was fond of making moonlark stuffed animals randomly appear there was only one answer that made sense.

And yet it also made no sense at all.

Because why...

Why would Sophie take his memory's away?